Medical Questions > Mens Health > Erectile Dysfunction Forum

ED after radical prostate surgery (removal)

Must Read
10% of men experience erectile dyfunction. When does a penis become erect? And what is ED? Start here for ED basics....
Can other medical conditions causes erection problems? Here we review the many potential causes of erectile dysfunction. ...
If you can't achieve an erection or control ejaculation, you might have Erectile Dysfunction. But what primary ED symptoms should you look for?...
User Profile
ED after radical prostate surgery (removal)

Ok I know I will have Ed issues after this surgery. What I dont know is the following

. How long will this last?
. Is there anything I can do to speed recovery vitamins, foods, exercise etc (exluding Ed drugs)
. Why is daily cialis not working right now?
. what might be early signs my erectile function is returning soon?

I will likely have more questions but that is start. I am a man in his early fifties had radical surgery (Prostate removal) in early Sept.

Read more: Prostate Cancer Forum - ED after radical prostate surgery dical-prostate-surgery-t311662.html#ixzz1d Qrlm1eI

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied November 13th, 2011
Erectile Dysfunction Answer A28529

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Erectile dysfunction after a radical prostatectomy is a common side effect of the procedure which is caused by mechanically induced nerve stretching that may occur during prostate retraction, thermal damage to nerve tissue caused by electrocoagulative cautery during surgical dissection, injury to nerve tissue amid attempts to control surgical bleeding, and local inflammatory effects associated with surgical trauma.

Treatment is pharmacological as well as non pharmacological. Pharmacological methods include medicines like Viagra or Cialis and intraurethral suppositories, and intracavernous injections. Non-pharmacologic therapies, which do not rely on the biochemical reactivity of the erectile tissue, include vacuum constriction devices and penile implants .

You can discuss these options with a urologist.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Erectile Dysfunction , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.