Medical Questions > Womens Health > Womens Conditions Forum

ECG and history of heart problems

User Profile
There is a strong history of heart attacks and strokes on my maternal and paternal sides of the family. My maternal grandmother died of a stoke at age 55 , 2 of her sons died of stroke at age 55+ My paternal grandfather had numerous strokes before he died at age 71 . My brother dropped dead of a heart attack at age 58. My other brother had emergency triple bypass at age 59.My question is, should my family doctor send me for an E C G when I go for my annual physical. I have high blood pressure which is under control with medication He sent me for an ECG last year when I had pain in my upper left arm. Test was OK. I have been seeing the same doctor now for 22 years , I was just wondering if I need to worry about it Thank You

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied April 7th, 2008
Womens Conditions Answer A3879
According to your medical condition (high blood pressure), age, body/mass index, sex, reproductive status (climax) and family history of cardio-vascular diseases you may want to have a few medical examinations like:
1. Clinical examination;
2. ECG, and
3. Blood laboratory analyses (blood count, cholesterol, triglycerides, creatinin, glucose, urea, liver status…).
All those examinations can help your doctor to calculate your risk for getting a cardio-vascular disorder including heart attack.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Womens Conditions , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.