Medical Questions > Nutrition > Blood Type Diet Forum

Eating too much sugar causes diabetes? - No

Eating too much sugar causes diabetes?

This is probably the biggest misconception that people have. There is absolutely no link between eating a lot of sugary foods and diabetes. There is however a link between being obese.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper erichclarke
|

replied August 12th, 2008
diabetes
but there is a link between diet and diabetes bleached breads cause diabetes and things of that sort bread acts as sugar when it is digested so how have u proved that eating alot of sugar dosent go along with diabetes?
|

replied November 13th, 2008
Re: diabetes
alleyloo wrote:
so how have u proved that eating alot of sugar dosent go along with diabetes?

Firstly, Try Googling 'Does sugar cause diabetes', there are are many many studies regarding this myth...

As OmniPetra clearly states, there is however a link between obesity and diabetes type 2...thus you can develop diabetes from eating too much fat for example, not because fat causes diabetes but simply because too much saturated fat would almost certainly make you obese and this in turn would increase the probability of developing diabetes...because insulin resistance is increased in the presence of fat...

Some people also have pancreatic issues that can increase the possibility of the onset of diabetes, that have nothing to do with the amount of sugar they have consumed...for example there are certain drugs that are toxic to these cells thus the production in the pancreas can become inhibited, all leading to rising blood sugar...

The real point is this, a high calorific intake, usually combined with inactivity is what generally causes obesity in individuals, this coupled with genetic factors and various other factors as mentioned above can lead to the onset of diabetes...

In terms of the food eaten, yes highly refined carbohydrates do indeed sugar in the body but some foods obviously sugar at a slower rate than others, even foods that sugar slowly, if eaten in large quantities will cause something similar to what can be thought of as an 'overload', try looking for GI and GL, this will exaplain it in more detail...

To sum up...Sugar itself does not cause diabetes, highly refined carbohydrates however do have a large role in this, eating too many of these along with such things as too much saturated fat can cause obesity, together with other factors they add to the probability of an individual developing Diabetes at some stage...

All of this information is widely available on the internet...
|

replied July 11th, 2015
Extremely eHealthy
eating too much sugar does not cause diabetes, but once you are a diabetic you body can not process sugar.....has to be a balance diet..............
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Sugar is unhealthy
Refined sugar (as well as corn syrup) is a highly processed fake food that is devoid of vitamins and did not exist in the human diet until very recently. It's not a good idea, whether or not it directly causes diabetes.
|

User Profile
replied October 29th, 2009
Supporter
The place I work has been very hard pressed for everyone to be at the BMI level. They keep expressing how important loosing weight is. I weighed 125 pounds until I got pregnant with my first child. I have put on over 100 lbs in the last 14 years. My job keeps telling me how unfit I am and recommending I join their weight loss program the have. But, I feel fine I have passed our health screens we have here with flying colors every year. No high chlesterol(i know I spelled that wrong sorry, no high blood pressure, and no sign of diabeties. However when I was 125 pounds I used to get fainting spells all the time and my doctor said it was due to low blood sugar. I had to deal with that for years. When I started gaining that weight all of that went away. Now I feel perfect and unlike most of the people I work with who are over their BMI I like my body. I've been raised to love myself. So I'm wondering if the hype of BMI is over rated!!!
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
You are dangerously overweight, period.
You are not healthy. Your body frame was not made to tolerate so much weight, and eventually your knees will give out, the arches of your feet will flatten, and your back will begin to hurt. Your internal organs are now coated with a hard layer of fat so tough it is almost like cartilage, squeezing them so tightly they can barely work properly. Your obvious inactivity means your lymph system is not being circulated properly and your heart is being overtaxed, but not exercised. Your skin is being stretched as far as it can go, and when your choice becomes death or weight loss, which it will at some point in your life, your body will be covered with folds of loose skin, not to mention your neck skin and facial skin. Fat produces its own hormones. And they aren't good for you.

Love yourself? I hardly think so. You are not taking care of yourself or loving your body one bit. You may have given up, but it is never too late to try.
|

replied November 9th, 2009
I feel the whole "BMI" crap is total BS. They should be going more off of body fat %, not some random number. There are a ton of people out there who eat VERY healthy, exercise, lift weights.. etc. But because they are more muscular than an average person, their BMI is going to possibly be higher than what is recommended. Even though, they are probably healthier than someone who doesn't eat much and is just skinny/fat, but the skinny/fat person will fit in their BMI standard... without actually being the healthy one. LAME! However, in that same sentence, being over weight/obese is extremely unhealthy. I have watched a lot of people I loved die because they were overweight their whole lives. Loving yourself shouldn't be about only you, it should also be about the people around you. Keeping yourself healthy to be around for your loved ones for a long time is important. As well as keeping the quality of your life good. No one should dislike or judge you because of your weight, but being "fat" is not a good thing for YOU. I agree that "BMI" is dumb, and we should use a different measuring system.. (I have been over my BMI when I was pretty close to contest ready for a figure show... so I know it isn't what they make it out to be.)But, even not going off of BMI you should be able to judge if you are over weight or not. Being over weight is pretty much the #1 killer of people...from disease it creates. So watching your weight is important. And I'm not trying to be rude, at all, but I think a lot of times people use the phrase "I love myself the way I am" is their cop out from doing something about their current situation. I don't think anyone wants to be over weight, they simply don't want to put in the effort it takes to fix it. And believe me, I know the effort it takes... so I don't blame them. And maybe it's not why you are saying it, but really think about it.
|

User Profile
replied November 11th, 2009
Supporter
Well I have to disagree if just being over weight kills people than over half the people in the United States would be dead. I have a lot of over weight people in my life some well into their 80's. I know a lot of over weight people none who have died from it. Go figure. Did the people who you know die from some condition. I have never heard of anyone dying of fat. Every condition now a days is always blamed on peoples weight. Loving yourself is also not jumping on bandwagons or latest craze. This new push for diet is just another way for someone to get rich. If you love yourself most likely you do care about the people around you so you keep yourself informed, do whats right for you and your loved ones.
|

replied September 22nd, 2011
Obesity definitely kills. The death certificate may say, "Heart Disease," but the reason is the layer of hard fat encasing and squeezing the heart until it can no longer function. Or a blood clot from inactivity. Or having surgery for another matter and dying because fat people are the riskiest for anesthesiologists. In fact, they are their worst nightmare. Obese people who are not exercising and constantly eating can get colon cancer from matter staying in their colon too long. How do you like being stared at, or feeling uncomfortable in theater chairs or airplane seats, or knowing that people behind you in the grocery line are watching to see what you buy that keeps you so big?

Being obese isn't just about health issues. It is about dignity, self-control, and caring about personal appearance which is part of self-respect and loving yourself.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
I knew that there is no connection between being a diabetic and eating a lot of sugar, but still, I don't know what causes exactly this disease...

|

User Profile
replied February 17th, 2014
i agree with you.
|

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2010
Supporter
No one knows for a fact what causes it there has been studies about it but no concrete evidence to what causes it. It usually depend the agenda of the person doing the study of what their findings are. I'm not saying all of them are bias just saying that some are. The weight lost industry is a big money market and a lot of people are trying to get a piece of the pie.
|

replied July 30th, 2011
Like most diseases, there is plenty of fact and fiction and often the two become intertwined and diabetes is no exception. Most people think that eating too much sugar cause diabetes, this is not true.

Diabetes is not caused by eating sugar. Diabetes is caused by a combination of genetic and environmental factors. However, eating a diet high in fat and sugar can cause you to become overweight.

It is being overweight that radically increases your risk of developing Type 2 diabetes, so if you have a history of diabetes in your family, I would recommend a healthy diet and regular exercise.

Actually, I remember a story about an ex-patient of mine, let's call her 'Patricia'.

We spoke at length about all her risk factors, but she stopped me when I asked her if she had any relatives with diabetes. I couldn't hold back the laughter, when she informed me that she wasn't too worried as she didn't like her relatives and had no contact with them!

Yo can catch diabetes from someone else - Fact or fiction?

This brings me nicely to another common myth about diabetes, that it can be passed from person to person by everyday contact (SOURCE: Diabetes UK). Although we don't know exactly why some people get diabetes, we know that it is not contagious - it can't be caught like a cold or flu. There seems to be some genetic link involved particularly Type 2 diabetes. But environmental factors also play a part.

That's enough Diabetes Fiction now for some fact

Diabetes is a metabolic disorder characterised by abnormally high blood sugar levels due either to lower production of insulin or abnormal resistance to insulin's effects.

The major symptoms are excessive thirst, frequent urination, muscle cramps, poor healing of wounds, impaired vision and itching.

Heart disease and stroke - caused by diseased coronary arteries supplying blood to brain- are also common complications associated with diabetes.

As people age, insulin production may diminish and/or insulin resistance may increase. If the consumption of food, especially food that causes rapid surges in blood sugar levels, remains high, blood sugar levels may become and remain abnormally high, which is the condition known as diabetes.

The serious consequences of this are collapse, a diabetic fit followed by diabetic coma and if not treated quickly, death can occur.

So diabetes is a killer disease!

Conventional and Complimentary treatments.

One problem with conventional treatments is that they are sometimes cumbersome and, on their own, not always effective. They sometimes have unwanted side-effects and very occasionally serious side-effects have been reported.

This is not to say that oral medication should not be used. On the contrary, they may be life-enhancing and life-saving and they should certainly never be stopped or their dose changed without a doctor's advice.

But the need for them - and indeed the need eventually for insulin injections - will be greatly reduced with a few simple changes to lifestyle. One of the best things you could do is follow the methods of Doctor Patrick Quillin in his International bestselling book The Diabetes Improvement Program.

I've reviewed this book before and it stirred up quite a lot of interest, so I think it's well worth another mention.

The author, Doctor Patrick Quillin, is renowned in this field and I've been impressed with his theses in the past. He uses food and supplements to slow and even reverse all aspects and symptoms of diabetes.

The programme helps to eliminate ketones and provides an abundance of energy. It normalises blood sugar levels, and improves both eyesight and balance. Scratches and scrapes heal much quicker. It will also renew feeling and sensation in numb limbs.

It reverses neuropathy and helps to heal ulcers. All these fantastic benefits have great knock-on effects as well. They help with blood pressure, lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels, reducing your risk of heart attack, stroke and kidney damage.
|

replied September 23rd, 2011
This is ridiculously wrong! Of COURSE eating sugar can lead to Diabetes! Even in your own comment you say, "If the consumption of food, especially food that causes rapid surges in blood sugar levels, remains high, blood sugar levels may become and remain abnormally high, which is the condition known as diabetes."

??? Let's get our facts straight here. SUGAR LEADS TO DIABETES. It is a refined substance like cocaine, and stimulates so many problems with insulin regulation that it can very well lead to diabetes. It is not the ONLY cause. But it is a cause.
|

replied October 3rd, 2011
If you consume mostly sugar and junk on a daily basis, then isn't it true that your insulin can become ineffective? Therefore, you have developed diabetes.
|

User Profile
replied December 5th, 2011
This is a very interesting topic, I hope a doctor or a medical professional can confirm this.
|

replied January 30th, 2012
Hello friends,

A healthy meal plan for people with diabetes is generally the same as a healthy diet for anyone - low in fat (especially saturated and trans fat), moderate in salt and sugar, with meals based on whole grain foods, vegetables and fruit. Diabetic and “dietetic” foods generally offer no special benefit. Most of them still raise blood glucose levels, are usually more expensive, and can also have a laxative effect if they contain sugar alcohols.

Best regards
John Messick
|
Tags: Diet
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....