Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

early symptoms, ars, or seroconversion?

Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
User Profile
Hello, In December I had unprotected vag/anal/menstural/inner ejaculate sex
2-3 weeks later-current Symptoms:
Purple right groin node
oral Hairy Leukoplakia
mouth ulcers
weight loss
muscle pains
swollen gums
sore mouth roof
random red pimple like bumbs
slow healing
muscle spasms/twitching
neck pains
tingling sensations
now all my hair and nails have stopped growing/slowed
1. Do these sound like early symptoms, ars, or seroconversion?
2. what and when would be the best testing method?
3. where can I send donations?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied February 20th, 2011
HIV and AIDS Answer A19832
Hello and thank you for posting your medical question on E health Forum.

HIV is diagnosed based on the serological detection of antibodies to HIV in the blood samples. It is not diagnosed on the basis of nonspecific signs and symptoms.

Your symptoms of rashes, oral thrush, body aches, etc are very nonspecific and are not diagnostic of HIV infection.

Screening of HIV is done via ELISA for HIV antibodies which has a sensitivity of 99 %. This test gives a positive result within 4-6 weeks of exposure.

Confirmation of HIV positive cases by ELISA is confirmed by western blot test which have a very high specificity for HIV. False positive results are extremely rare with the WB, so it confirms (proves) that HIV antibodies are present.

You might consider to undergo the HIV 1 & 2 antibody + p24 combo test which has higher accuracy and gives a positive result within 4 weeks of exposure.

You might consider to consult your doctor for additional counselling.

I hope this helps

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.