Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hypoglycemia Forum

Early or "Recovery" Stages Question

Hi all,

I've been hypoglycemic for 2 and half years. I understand pretty much what to eat and how often to eat, once I get fairly balanced, but I've had stages where I fall low for a day or so and then can't seem to get back on track for months. I've heard this referred to as the "Severe" or "Recovery Stage," when you're trying to get somewhat balanced.

I've had one doctor tell me that if I become this low, that I should drink a little coke, to bring me up, and then eat some complex carbs (but this approach makes me crash worse at these times.) I've also been told by someone else that I should only eat protein and pretty much no carbs for the first few weeks, until I can handle things like milk or fruit or cereal. At the recovery or severe stage, where I am now, I can't incorporate half an an apple without feeling exhausted 30 minutes later. So, I don't really know what to do. Things like fruit make me feel bad, but at the same time, I feel like I should eat some type of complex sugar or carb to help me "up".... but I could be wrong.

I'm very confused, and I feel so miserable sometimes I don't know if I'll be able to make it to work.

I know everyone's body is different, but does anyone here have any advice or experience with this?

Thank you!

Angela
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 30th, 2013
hiya,
yes it takes me several days to get back to feeling normal after eating something i shouldnt.
i've had severe reactive hypo for 10 years and keep it controlled with a strict Paleo diet. i feel fantastic on it with heaps of energy.Google it and get a book, Practical Paleo by Diane Sanfilippo is great.you can find it on amazon.
i eat a lamb chop with avocado and brocolli for breakfast.dont eat more than 2 pieces of fruit a day,you may find you cant tolerate any to start with.never eat fruit before morning tea time adn eat each piece at least 2 hours apart.
milk and ceral will cause a huge insulin release and put you back where you started as grains ,even wholegrains and all dairy products are insulin promoting.i would avoid these if you want to feel normal again.Lots of green veges,protein and healthy fats works best.
|
Did you find this post helpful?