Medical Questions > Lifestyle > Body Modification Forum

ear piercing made with a gun is very swollen

User Profile
I got another ear piercing with the gun piercing and it's very swollen. It's hurts when I try cleaning it. May there be a chance that I have got it on a nerve on my ear ? I need help . I don't know if I should take the piercing out and let it close up.
Did you find this post helpful?

replied July 28th, 2016
Not a Doctor! Where is the piercing? Is there any fluid coming out? If so, what color is it? How long ago did you get the piercing? Did it hurt immediately?

If there is Yellow or green fluid coming out of the piercing, it's more than likely infected. The green being more severe. I would suggest taking it out and seeing a Doctor. If the pain has slowly gotten worse and didn't hurt this severely immediately, then u probably didn't hit a nerve. There are people who try to hit a nerve on purpose to dull their appetite, I can't imagine it would cause that much of a problem. And u would have felt the pain immediately!
I've heard soaking in sea salt is a good antibacterial/ drawing agent for any fluid. You've probably;
1: reacted to the metal
2: do poorly w any foreign objects
3: have an infection
4: or had someone inexperienced do it w dirty equipment
If it's that bad, take it out and try again later. You can buy another earring but not another ear!!!
Ps. No antibiotic ointment (greasy) use the cream if at all. U want it to drain
Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied July 30th, 2016
Pain Management Answer A58187
Thank you for asking at Ehealth forum!

I read your question and i understand your concern. Piercing via gun is a common cause for local inflammation. Apply some topical anti inflammatory creams and take some advil orally and keep the piercing site clean and aseptic to prevent its infection, it shall subside in a few days.

I hope it helps. Stay in touch with your healthcare provider for further guidance as our answers are just for education and counselling purposes and cannot be an alternative to actual visit to a doctor.
Take care

Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Body Modification , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.