User Profile
Dear medical staff, why is my throat sore? This has been going on for the past 3 weeks. My tonsils are red and inflamed with worsening white spots. The whites spots are just on my tonsils and I have noticeable phlegm drainage on my throat. Suspect allergies, I get them every year and it is the season right now. I’ve had 2 rapid strep tests and a culture that came back negative, also a negative mono test. The only symptom I have is discomfort of the throat and the obvious visual appearance of my throat. I went on vacation a little over a week ago and woke up with my eyes slightly mattery and my left eye a little red. So I went to urgent care and they gave me a steroid and antibiotic injection, sent me home with amoxicillin; and treated be as if I had strep. That perked me up and my throat went back to normal for about a week, but now it’s back. Ibruprofen helps with the discomfort but the spots are still raging on. What could it be?? Than you!

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2019
Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders Answer A64993
Hello.
Welcome to this forum.
You are having sore throat which could be due to diverse reasons including allergy to infection. However, the treatment you are receiving included all. So, apparently it seems you need a more time. I suggest you to do some saline warm gurgle twice a day for three days along with the present treatment. If not releived by that time,you need a revisit.
Hope I can address your query. Please visit your doctor if there is any further confusion as without a clinical examination it is not possible to opine through an online medical forum.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Tags: Allergy, Eye Care
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know the three main reasons we cough? Learn common causes of cough and when coughing might indicate a more serious health problem....
Coughing is normal. But what can cause more troublesome coughs? Learn more about possible causes of cough here....
When should you see a doctor about cough symptoms? When are symptoms a sign of further complications? Learn about cough symptoms basics here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ear, Nose and Throat Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.