Has anyone here with TMJ experienced a fluttering sensation in their ear(s)? I get this in both ears but not usually at the same time. Often it is worse in the left TMJ which is my worst side. I suspect it is the tensor tympani muscle in spasm. I have jerky movements when moving my jaw side to side and my teeth chatter if I bring them close together. Do you think this ear fluttering is related to my TMJ and is it something I should mention to my TMJ doctor? I have had it for several years but it seems to be either more noticeable or getting worse since I got my new splint.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper gottmjd
|

replied January 12th, 2011
Experienced User
I would say that it is almost definitely related to TMD. I get this as well, along with a stuffy and painful ear, mine also on the left side. Many TMD sufferers have ear issues. In my case, the problems with the ear(s) is by far the worst of my symptoms and from what I'm told take the longest to heal if proper treatment is sought out.
|

replied January 15th, 2011
Ear pain, stuffiness, and a fullness feeling is commonly caused by inflammation in the jaw joint. The joint lies right next to the ear canal. You can also have a feeling of hearing loss. If you use Qtips to clean your ears you may find that your ear canal may feel smaller than the otherside. Be careful though pressing the interior ear canal wall can be very painful. Ear pain is very common with TMJD. It is also one of the most common ailments of TMJD that doesn't seem to ease up or go away. If you can get the inflamation under control the ear pain should ease up. I have had TMJD on the left side caused 25 years ago by a tramatic wisdom tooth extraction that destroyed ligaments and muscle tears etc. Good luck, i for one understand the pain and agony.
|

replied January 12th, 2012
I'm so glad I found your post! I have had a stuffy feeling in my right ear for the last 6 months. I was told that my eustachian tube is non-functional, but I believe I might have TMJ. I have sharp pain right in front of my ear and down to my jaw line. As the day wears on the pain usually gets worse. Thanks for the information it's made me feel a lot better. I thought I was going insane!
|
Tags: ear, muscle, TMJ
Quick Reply