CT scans says i have this syndrome but the doctors that i have seen seem to think its throat congestion or acid reflux but it feel like i got a fish bone stuck in my throat and when i turn my head to the left and down ,that's when the pain is most noticeable .
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied August 7th, 2010
Experienced User
Hi,

The diagnosis of Eagle's syndrome is difficult and it takes an ENT who is specifically knowledgeable on the subject of Eagle's syndrome to get a correct diagnosis (and maybe later treatment). In my experience many others will also try their best to help you, but if they don't know what to look for chances are they will overlook this syndrome. Having such symptoms and already having a CT scan that indicates that you may have this, then it is perhaps worth looking for an ENT with specific experience in this field.

More information, cases etc. on Eagle's syndrome in this topic:

http://ehealthforum.com/health/eagle-s-syn drome-t207038.html

I hope this may help you.
|

replied September 10th, 2010
eagle syndrome help
I was diagnosed with Eagle Syndrome in 2008. My symptoms started in 2003. it took this long to get a diagnosis. So long that I ended up losing my job and medical insurance due to the various symptoms that included the tip of the bone sticking me in the back of my throat on the left side, ear neck and facial pain, dizziness etc. In addition it has totally destroyed my teeth on the left side. I also have facial assymety now that I did not have before. This condition has not only been painful but disfiguring. For years they just kept saying TMJ and I kept saying "no! It's this bone in my throat. Fix it and it will go away." Any suggestions are welccome and I wish others with this condition much better luck than I have had.
|

replied September 21st, 2010
Re: eagle syndrome
waterview wrote:
CT scans says i have this syndrome but the doctors that i have seen seem to think its throat congestion or acid reflux but it feel like i got a fish bone stuck in my throat and when i turn my head to the left and down ,that's when the pain is most noticeable .
sunny

I've had similar symptoms of turning my head to the left and down I get pain. I found my styloid on my own. I put my finger way back in my throat right over the tonsil area. It made me gag, but I discovered what felt like the tip of a bone protruding. OMG! Not there on the other side. So I went to an oral surgeon/DDS who did a 3d Ct scan and gave me great pics of it. He didn't remove it. I always have a throbbing nerve in my neck on left side. Pulsates. I have Eagles Syndrome. My surgeon only removed a portion. Intraoral. So the feeling of having something stuck in my throat went away. But the miriad of other symptoms on the left side stayed put. Blamed that as all muscular. After 1.5 years I'm finally convinced not enough was removed. I will never get more surgery till I find a doc who can remove the whole styloid and I'm going to try to figure out what scan will show if the width of the styloid is pressing against the carotid artery and other nerves that run right next to the styloid. My 3D Ct scan pics I have show just the bones. I've also read that its not always the length thats at fault for causing symptoms but the width also. Its individual. I'm also going to make sure the next surgeon tells me exactly how many styloids he's removed and if he can take anything else out thats calcified. This may be to much information for you. I hope it helps.
|

replied October 3rd, 2010
How many people who have eagles syndrome have esophagitis or gerd? I also have pain under the breast bone, stomach area. Is this caused by eagles syndrome?
|

replied October 11th, 2010
Thanks for your reply, I will look into this, I do have trouble with snoring and I am constantly tired. I have a meeting with a consultant at the end of November regarding my Eagle's syndrome and I hopefully will be having part of the styloid removed.
|
Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....