User Profile
Is there a treatment for dysmenhorrhea? I have not been diagnosed offically but my period symptoms are really severe. I have been on birth control (Femcon Fe) for three months and the symptoms have become worse. My periods are very regular and usually last about 3 to 4 days but since I've started the pill they have been longer (about 7 days). Is there anything else I can do to stop the severe symptoms?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied June 9th, 2008
Menstruation Answer A4240
Current medical status: Dysmenhorrhea (extreme cramps, headache, nausea etc.)
Current medical treatment: Femcon FE

Dysmenorrhea (painful menstruation) can be primary or secondary.
Primary dysmenorrhea is caused by increased production of prostaglandins during the menstruation in certain women. The exact cause for that remains unknown.

Secondary dysmenorrhea is due to other disorders like structural anomaly, infection, endometriosis, tumors, ovarian cysts, etc. Primary dysmenorrhea is diagnosed when all these possibilities are excluded.

Ovulatory periods are usually painful. Birth control pills are given to prevent ovulations and so indirectly calm the pain. Periods that you have now are not real periods because the ovulations are blocked.

Painkillers from the group of NSAID (aspirin, ketoprofen, ibuprofen, diclofenac…) are also given to calm the pain. They decrease the production of prostaglandins.

Severe cases can be treated with hormonal therapy (GnRH agonists) or even surgically.
Secondary dysmenorrhea is treated by treating the primary disorder and with painkillers.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Menstruation is a woman's normal monthly menstrual period. But what are the signs of abnormal periods? When is vaginal bleeding serious?...
Regular vaginal bleeding vagina is a sign of healthy menstruation. What signs and symptoms point to menstrual problems? Read on to learn the difference....
Menstrual irregularity means that something is wrong. Learn how to identify the signs and symptoms of an irregular period to prevent larger problems later...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Menstruation , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.