Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Digestive and Bowel Disorders Forum

duodenal ulcer and suffer with IBS. what foods can i eat?

User Profile
I have a duodenal ulcer and suffer with IBS, I also have a liver problem which hasn't been diagnosed yet any idea what it might be, I don't have gall stones but eating fatty foods does give me pain? Not sure what foods I can eat, any advice? I also have food intolerances to wheat, gluten, dairy, caffeine and alcohol, yeast and have to keep sugary things to a minimum as I am borderline diabetic. Can you guide me as to what foods to eat please? I will be having more tests done soon to check if I have developed any further intolerances.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 10th, 2012
Digestive and Bowel Disorders Answer A33750
Welcome to e health forum.

Improved diet (Avoidance of high fatty foods and grease), Physical exercise, weight loss provide the best results in individuals with low functioning gall bladder. Medicines to improve digestion and cleanse the gall bladder can also be prescribed to help in improvement of symptoms.

Here are some diet measures, that a individual with gall bladder related symptoms can follow to reduce as well as prevent future symptoms.

Your diet should include: Lean meat, skinned fish and chicken ; Eggs ; Skimmed milk ; Low fat cheese, yogurts and spreads ; Soups ; Salads ; Grilled fish and chicken; Legumes

A high fibre diet is also recommended. Include at least 3-4 servings of vegetables a day and 2-4 servings of fruit each day. Fruits like - Dried fruits (dates, apricots, prunes, raisins); raspberries, blackberries, strawberries, blueberries, and oranges can help reduce the symptoms.

Foods that need to be avoided: include Fried foods ; Spicy food ; Whole grain breads ; Cereals, seeds and nuts ; Baked beans ; Broccoli ; Cabbage ; Brussel sprouts; Cauliflower ; Peanuts ; and Pastries.

You may consult your doctor or a dietician, who can help to provide additional information regarding diet, specifically to your requirements.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.