Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Chest Pain Forum

Dull pain...Probably xiphoid process?

First of all, I'm a smoker though, just to mention so you can give me more It started a few days ago, but accurate answers and help me about it.

I have dull pain down in the middle of my ribs below my breastbone...It has started a few days ago, and I've noticed when I don't smoke a day or two, the pain slowly goes away. Yesterday I've been on a party and I was drunk (drinked some hard alcoholic drink, it contained 40% of alcohol, just to mention it as well), so I've smoked around 13 cigarettes through the night.

I'm smoking since around January 2011. (So ~1 year).
I also had a lung collapsion (Pneumothorax) back in late 2008. I know, it's very bad to smoke for me (for everyone, ofcourse..but for me especially), so I'm definitely stopping with smoking. I've been already in the progress of stopping since more than a week.

Now a little description about the pain (How it feels):
- It is dull, and constant. The pain starts right from the end of breastbone and goes down till the end of that "thing" what I'm talking about (what hurts). Guess it's the xiphoid process, but not sure. It's that are where xiphoid process is.
- What affects the pain:
*When I breathe in as deep as I can, the pain becomes (just a little) more intensive.
*When I touch it, and press it a little, the pain doesn't get worse, even I feel like it hurts less then.
*Sometimes (not always) there's some extra pain...sharp and short (for a short time) when I'm stretching my body...that extra pain occurs in the same area where the dull (constant) pain is.

How my middle of my ribs looks visually:
- On one side it looks like it's a lil' more out, while on the other one is normal. Nothing more I'd say...

I really hope it is not a big problem...Like cancer or tumor or stuff like that...
So:
- What is it?
- What should I do?

Thank you very much in advance for your help!

BTW: I'm 19, male.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied February 4th, 2012
Anyone???
|

replied April 12th, 2012
GERD. I thought I was having a heart attack. Bad pain in chest and upper chest and back, sweating, tingling feeling from throat to middle of chest. Shortness of breath and feels weird when I breath in.
They gave me a concoction of Lanacain (to numb my esophagus and pain), Maylox and something else... my breathing was very easy after about 5 mins and my pain was gone...my chest didn't feel tight. They did a EKG, blood work and x-ray..i was not having a heart attack. All that was GERD. He told me to get prilosect for lasting relief and a good anti acid for immediate relief.
It's something to think about. I'm a 26, female and I seriously thought that night was it for me, until I went to the ER and they told me I had GERD.
|

replied July 24th, 2012
You have Xiphoid Pain Syndrom. YOU need to see a Thoracic Doctor.
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied July 24th, 2012
Chest Pain
|

replied May 4th, 2015
I know exactly what you mean, im going through the same thing, cigarettes make it much worse. Doesnt seem like acid reflux to me (GERD) its been a while since your post, have you figured out what it is?
|
Must Read
What is pneumonia? Learn basic facts about pneumonia here, plus how doctors define the different types of pneumonia that people can get....
Some people are more at risk of getting pneumonia than others. Are you one of them? Learn more about how you get pneumonia and who is at risk here....
Chest pain is typical during cases of pneumonia. But what other signs and symptoms should you look for? Know when to seek medical help by starting here....