Must Read
Chronic pain affects more than 70 million Americans. But what is pain? And how can pain management help relieve different types of pain? Basic facts here....
How does the nervous system work to register pain? And what are the major causes of acute and chronic pain? Plus, who's at risk of pain here....
Acute and chronic pain manifest different symptoms. Learn the difference here and know when to seek medical help for pain....
For about 9 mos+, I have had a dull pain in my tailbone. It isn't always there, I generally notice it only if I sit on a hard surface and sit straight or leaning back - if I lean forward, it doesn't hurt at all.

Also, for the same time I've had an itchy area of skin, um, at the top of my buttcrack right below my tailbone, I haven't looked at it, but it feels like a rash or eczema almost and does itch. In fact the itching is often more noticeable than the tailbone pain...thinking they might be related.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper nmocean
|

replied November 4th, 2009
This sounds very simular to my own symptoms
I have had this same dull pain on and off for at least the last 12 years now. I also have the itchy spot you mention and never considered that they might somehow be related. The pain comes randomly and inconsistantly and always feels good when pressure is applied or the tailbone area is massaged, but this does not stop the pain, it usaully has to just run its course until it is through hurting. The pain is also felt behind the tailbone (internally) and in the testicles as well. Time is the only thing that seems to make the pain subside, and sometimes it takes longer than others and sometimes the pain is dull, while other times it makes me reel in discomfort and agony. I too would like to know what is causing this pain. I had an x-ray done of my tail bone last year and there was no sign of a fracture or break, I have often wondered if the prostate was the culprit.
|

replied June 25th, 2012
Aching tail bone
Interesting reading. I have the same symptoms, but I am a woman, so no prostate relationship there! I hit my tailbone on a rock 40 years ago. It was injured, and it took almost 8 weeks before I could even sit on it. I started working out at a ladies gym and it seems since then, my tailbone has been acting up again. I also have rough skin at place mentioned but no itch. Has anyone discovered what this might be? I am afraid to go to the Dr in case he tells me its something really scary!
|

replied November 6th, 2009
Yours sounds MUCH more severe than mine...never got the testicle pain.
|

replied November 11th, 2009
Me too. Right now I am sitting here writing and it feels as though I got kicked in the ass with a steel toed boot. The reason I found this forum is because I googled "aching tailbone shingles herpes". The whole thing started out with a small rash at the tip of my coccyx... I've had it before. It got worse this time and affected my anus as well. Then I got this creepy crawling feeling in my anus like I have worms or something. The back of my upper legs were tingling like they were half asleep. I went to my doc and he told me I have herpes ( don't freak out because I think he is full of crap ). So I started searching the net and found that tailbone pain can be attributed to shingles. If you have ever had chickenpox, it can resurface as shingles when your immunity is down. It stays in your nerves for life and can reappear as a rash with flu-like symptoms - lathargy, headaches, irritability. One of the common complaints is aching in your coccyx and/or pelvic area. All this can happen with herpes as well but, the symptoms of herpes are fairly obvious in comparison. Both of them affect your nervous system and both reside in the base of your spine. If you have had any type of rash before this aching started, it could be shingles. Thats what Im sticking with because the alternative is way more unpleasant.
|

replied November 13th, 2009
I'm thinking mine sounds like a pilonidal (sp?) cyst.
|

replied November 18th, 2009
ive got the same thing i got tailbone pain a couple years ago before i got my appendix removed then after that i found a lump on my right testical on the epididimis about the size of one sand grain my doc said it was a cyst but now the pain is where that cyst is and my tailbone aches but it comes and goes i am now waiting for an ultrasound on the cyst and if that doesent work then ill have to get other tests because there gotta be sumthing wrong here and it needs to be fixed
|

replied January 5th, 2010
Itching and pain around tail bone
smooj, I too have had your exact symptoms. It started this summer with a rash/itching/burning around my anus - which I thought was my first hemorrhoid. I treated it and it went away, but I began having the same creepy crawly feeling in my anus! This alternated between burning, itching, and creepy crawling for a few weeks. It finally began moving upward, and healing downward, until it ended up at the top of my but crack with the itchiest spot imaginable!! Went to the doctor and treated it with anti-fungal/yeast infection, anti-itch, anti everything cream. Nothing really worked. Then I took a round of antibiotics for something else and that seemed to help - and has almost rid me of the itching. Alas, the pain in the tailbone is still present - and it feels exactly like you have described - like I have just been kicked in the ass with a steel-toed boot. Has anyone found any further info as to what this may be?
|

replied January 30th, 2010
Me too!
Interesting posts. I too have similar symptoms. About six months ago, I developed a cut-like area in the gluteal cleft. Also, I had areas of tears around the anus. No ointments or powders were effective. A few months later, the cut closed but a terrible inflammation developed in my butt crack. Also, I sometimes have this dull ache at the base of my spine. It seems to come and go.

After several doctor visits, a dermatologist prescribed a strong steroid ointment. Two weeks of the ointment has cleared my inflammation. However the dull ache at the tailbone is still there. Also, my stool looks flattened recently? So I was thinking that maybe I have some kind of anal or rectal cancer but I have no other symptoms (cramping, frank bleeding, weight loss, etc.).

So, I'm a little freaked out. The post about shingles or herpes is intriguing. But normally these types of break outs are like blisters. Mine was a red inflammation.

So, all better now except for the dull ache and change in stool.

Any thoughts?
|

replied June 24th, 2010
shingles and tailbone pain
I have had shingles twice now in the last 15 years. Both times it started with an unbearable ache in my tailbone then the itching. First time it went up the tailbone on between my buttocks on one side of my spine. It gets red blisters and heals then gone. This time I was under lots of stress had just got done wit ha battle of bronchitis which i never had before and was recently put on methotrexate for Rhuematoid Arthritis which is an autoimmune disease (great). All of these things combined in the last 5 weeks has lead to shingles again. Same symptom in tailbone about a few days before the outbreak. This time the outbreak started on my frontside just above my genital area but higher towards my belly button (if that makes sense). My doctor said it is directly in line with the nerves of my tailbone but to the front. It felt like a insect bite, red and itching then blisters, now i have 3 patches of them lining up and moving (as my doc showed me on the nerve diagram) in a line around my nerve area (I am getting a forth now too i can tell starting to itch.. eeee gads..She gave me cyclovir that i just started today, said it will help start to push it back but once shingles starts its to late but may shorten the duration by a few days. hope this helps others my post
|

replied August 11th, 2010
tailbone ache and rash
i have the red rash and aching tailbone. i honestly thought it maybe some sort of bite. i am a female and tonight was the first time this has happened. i just lost my insurance and cant afford to go to my primary physician... i am wondering at what point i should go to the doctor. thanks for you help.
|

replied June 9th, 2011
itchy blisters on the coccyx
i started getting an itchy rash on my coccyx that blisters about 12 years ago. It was about 2 or 3 weeks after getting a chicken pox shot. I thought it was a spider bite, but when it returned about 2 months later in the same spot i realized the chance of getting bit in the exact spot twice was small. Through the years the blisters have returned regularly. They usually appear a day or so after I get a pain that runs up the nerve from my foot to the spot of outbreak. The pain is a 4/5. Not comfortable at all. I have had tests for both shingles and herpes and both have come back as postive and negative for both. Go figure. My best guess is that it is herpes that was probably awakened by the vaccine. No one agrees with me about that but we all know our own lives and situations. I didn't realize that genital herpes can be present on areas not considered the genitals.
|

replied August 13th, 2011
Itchy, achy tailbone
My first outbreak was back in 1984 and I thought it was a spider bite because it itched like all get out. But I was also very sick at the time, and since then I think it's herpes since the onset of each was concurrent (sickess and blister). Now all these years later it shows up in the EXACT same place, itching first. (It never spread and my husband has never contracted it.) If I scratch it, it'll get mad and grow into a little blister that takes its course, pops, dries and hides away again. I've also had a lot of tailbone issues diagnosed as coxydonia (sp). But it's all related. I can actually feel a little pea sized bump move from my tailbone to the site, then reside under the blister. I'm convinced it's a nerve related (ganglia) herpes type thing. Plus, it's just off midline. A shingles rash won't cross our midline. So that's one more small effect worth mentioning.
|

replied July 16th, 2011
I have the same thing as described above with a dull ache top of butt crack, hurts when I sit on a hard surface or riding bike. Went to Dr. yesteday he checked looked around back there and did an examine of my rectum and prostate. Everything was good. I can't duplicate the pain unless i sit on a hard surface. I wish i knew what it was.
|
Users who thank nmocean for this post: confuzzled123 

replied July 16th, 2011
I have the same thing as described above with a dull ache top of butt crack, hurts when I sit on a hard surface or riding bike. Went to Dr. yesteday he checked looked around back there and did an examine of my rectum and prostate. Everything was good. I can't duplicate the pain unless i sit on a hard surface. I wish i knew what it was.
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
I have Shingles on my tailbone that started on my Spine years ag
I have Shingles I'm 43 I had my first out break at 37 it was like a bite on my back or like something
Mg stung. Me the next day I broke out with blisters it started on my spine now years later I have had outbreaks on my butt crack and down to my tail one. I don't always get the blister and sometimes it doesn't even get red but the pain itching burning tingling is always there and bad. I don't always get a warning that I'm going to break out or have a outbreak. My daughter had shingles at 7 on her rib and for weeks they thought she was being bit by something she has had one other outbreak on the front of her body on her rid cage but that is it she is now 19. There is medication for the onset or meds you can take daily and there is creams that helps some with different symptoms. But remember people with shingles don't always have the red rash or blisters! Hopefully this helps if you think its Shingles don't be afraid to say that to your doctor because it is a disease
that's from chicken pox not from something sexually transmitted! Hopeful Help
|

replied August 3rd, 2011
I have Shingles I'm 43 I had my first out break at 37 it was like a bite on my back or like something
Mg stung. Me the next day I broke out with blisters it started on my spine now years later I have had outbreaks on my butt crack and down to my tail one. I don't always get the blister and sometimes it doesn't even get red but the pain itching burning tingling is always there and bad. I don't always get a warning that I'm going to break out or have a outbreak. My daughter had shingles at 7 on her rib and for weeks they thought she was being bit by something she has had one other outbreak on the front of her body on her rid cage but that is it she is now 19. There is medication for the onset or meds you can take daily and there is creams that helps some with different symptoms. But remember people with shingles don't always have the red rash or blisters! Hopefully this helps if you think its Shingles don't be afraid to say that to your doctor because it is a disease
that's from chicken pox not from something sexually transmitted! Hopeful Help
|

replied September 18th, 2011
I am in the same boat as all of you. I have been to so many doctors it isn't even funny. I have finally ended up at the dermetologist office and they have perscribed for me Lyrica. That helps with the tailbone pain. As for the lovely rash...I have only had it once and hope to never have it again. That was very painful. If you haven't tried a doctor get a referal to a dermotologist and ask them about neuropathic pain reliever.
|

replied January 22nd, 2012
The big issue with me is that it is intermittent and makes getting to sleep almost impossible. It comes every couple of minutes and lasts 5-10 seconds and varies in intensity. My primary care doc, a derma doc and my neuro (I have MS so both he and I thought it might be related to a neuropathy in my sacral spine area - an MRI showed nothing) and nobody has an answer. Have essentially tried everything they have prescribed (strongest steroid available, Lyrica, etc and over-the counter remedies for itch and hemorrhoids) and only a PM-type pain reliever allows me to sleep. Concerned about long-term use of these however - ulcers, liver damage, etc. This is the most frustrating problem I've ever experienced. Mine is an intense itch/pain right at my tailbone and down to my anus area.
|

replied September 23rd, 2012
itchy tailbone
I have had this extreme itching at my tail bone on and off for years. There is nothing there visibly until I have scratched it till it bleeds. Here is the scary thing my daughter, 7, now has had the same sensation twice. As I have not had it myself in several years, she would not know about it from me, but at 1 am last night she came into my bedroom and woke dad and me up crying about her itching. Same place same exact thing! This is the second time that she has had this happen. It is not shingles, it is not herpes and it is not a cyst, I am not a man and I do not, nor does my daughter, have a hairy hind end, so WHAT is this!
|

replied October 9th, 2012
You don't have to be a man or have a hairy hind end to get a pilonidal cyst. It only takes one hair. Men, women, and children get it, although it is more common in young men. I'm not saying that's what you and your daughter have, I'm just saying you're basing your conclusion on some misinformation. It could just be that you and her have sensitive skin in that area and the sweat in your crack causes it to itch. But if it bothers your daughter to the point of crying, you really should take her to a doctor instead of trying to get a diagnosis from strangers on a forum.
|

replied October 9th, 2012
Several of you sound like you have the classic symptoms of a pilonidal cyst. I let mine go for a couple years before I got checked out, and it got to where it was bleeding at times. I actually had to have two surgeries before it was totally removed. Got a nice big chunk of butt taken out inside the cheeks just below the tailbone. Good times.
|