hey, im a 16 year old male. i have a hernia and i think sometime in the beginning of feb im going in for my surgery but they havent done all of the tests yet, there coming up soon. im a heavy marijuana user, but i have quit till after when ever my surgery is, will they drug test me, do they drug test before surgerys, and if so since im a minor will they have to tell my mom. thanks
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 26th, 2011
I think it is illegal for hospitals to drug test without your permission. Since you're under 18 they would need permission from your parent/guardian. So they might slip it in a blood or urine test, but I don't think you need to worry about it.
|

replied January 26th, 2011
ok but if they do find marijuana in me theyll have to tell my parent wouldnt they
|

User Profile
replied January 27th, 2011
Most likely since you're under 18. Just drink alot of water and keep not using it for awhile before.
|

replied January 30th, 2011
thanks so much, i got 1 more question, even tho im done, can the chemicals from the pot still interact with the anesthesia and be fatal?
|

User Profile
replied January 31st, 2011
Pot can be a synergist when combined with other substances. That means that the total intoxification of the combined substances is greater than just the effects of one alone. Pot has effects on blood pressure and heartbeat, as well as respiration and others. Pot combined with anesthesia can be synergistic. It would be wise to not smoke for a few hours before you are going to be on the anesthesia, so that your THC,etc. levels in your blood are low. Take care and best of hope on your surgery.
|

User Profile
In my previous post, I mis-stated some things. This is the correction:

Pot can be a synergist when combined with other substances. That means that the total intoxification of the combined substances' effects are greater than what would be obtainable by any of the substances alone. Pot has effects on blood pressure and heartbeat, as well as respiration and others. Pot combined with anesthesia can be synergistic. It would be wise to not smoke for a few hours before you are going to be on the anesthesia, so that your THC,etc. levels in your blood are low. Take care and best of hope on your surgery.
|

thanks so much, peace & love.
|

replied February 7th, 2011
hi...
This educational web site is geared to the needs of patients on medications for opiate addiction.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....