Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Spleen Forum

drs want to remove the spleen... but I'd rather keep it.

User Profile
I have a very large spleenic cyst but it isn't really causing me any problems. I am 58 years old. The doctors want to remove the spleen... but I'd rather keep it. The cyst has shrunk in the past 3 years from 9+ cm to 7.8 cm.

As long as I am asymptomatic can I put off surgery? I live in a foreign country and the hospitals aren't exactly state-of-the-art.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2014
General Q and A Answer A47349
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If the splenic cyst that you describe is non-cancerous or benign, and not thin walled, it can be left alone until you have symptoms. Usually the symptoms are not that evident since the stretch effect on the splenic capsule does not occur so easily with any swelling or even spleen enlargement. If your treating doctor/surgeon has recommended surgery for you, you should consider going ahead with it or take second opinion from another doctor/surgeon and then proceed with taking further decisions (after discussing the pros and cons or the risks and benefits of the surgery suggested). Consider being in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/surgeon and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Got pain under your left side ribs? Is your left abdomen swollen or tender to touch? You might be dealing with a problem related to the spleen!...
Certain diseases can cause the spleen to swell to several times its normal size. Learn the signs and symptoms of spleen problems here....
An enlarged spleen is the result of an underlying disorder. What spleen disorders do doctors consider during diagnosis? What tests do they use?...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Spleen , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.