Medical Questions > Mental Health > Anxiety and Stress Forum

Dream like feeling (Page 1)

Must Read
Learn how doctors clinically diagnose one of twelve kinds of anxiety disorders...and which doctors you should see for an anxiety diagnosis....
Anxiety disorders can affect anyone. But do you know the common signs and symptoms of anxiety disorders? Learn more now....
Anxiety is a normal, healthy emotion when experienced during specific moments. But do you know the signs that anxiety has gotten out of control? Read more here...
Hi, this is my first post here, let me tell you all my story.

It all started about two months ago, june 6th. I smoked marijuana with my friends. I had done it twice before where I had gotten high. After I smoked it (I only had one hit), I went home because my heart was punding fast, sort of like I was panicking. Keep in mind Im not posting here to be judged on my choices to do drugs, Ive learned my lesson.I reminded my self this had happened twice before, and I would be fine tomorow. I let my mom in on it because I was worried why my heart was pumping so fast, she said just chill and wait untill tomorow. I felt fine later the next day, but something strange happend about a week later. I was in class, then it hit me, it was like a mind fog. exams were coming up, I thought it could be stress. Exams passed, I still felt 'mind foggy' like I was in a dream. By now it was beggining of july. Something strange happened to me on july 2nd, I was sitting in the park after a skateboarding session (skateboarding being my hobby) I was with a friend. We were sitting and I was looking at him when he was talking to me, then all of the sudden, it was like when the marijuana effects kicked in, my mind sorta spaced out and I was like woah. My heart started racing. It happened a couple more times until about july 23. By then it was an off/ on thing, I would have short time periods where I wouldnt really feel bad anymore, then it went away starting on the 23rd. I forgot about it, it had mostly passed until the 29th, when i started feeling like this again. It feels like I'm sort of in a dream, disconnected from everyone else, Im not clear headed. My mom thinks its anxiety, I have already gotten my blood tested (for one thing only though) about a week after all this started. I have gone to my doctor, and described the feeling as 'lightheaded and not clearminded' he says it happens to lots of peaople, it should go away soon. Well, it didnt, we didnt tell the doctor it started a week after doing marijuana. I just want to get some info on this, sorry if my typing isnt the greatest, me trying to jam all of this in here. Do you guys know what could be going on? Im 16 years old by the way, and all I really want is just to feel normal again. My mom said they might send me to a therapist, i dunno. It might all be in my head, or something, I dunno, what do you guys think?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper zeraya
|

replied August 5th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
Week can do some crazy things. Best thing to do is quit for good.
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Marijuana making dreams seem like they really did happen.
I went out drinking with my friends, drank 1/2 dozen beer and smoked marijuana. I got buzzed, and I felt good, but then I started feeling drunk, so I decided to go home. When I went home, I went to bed, and must have dreamed that i cheated on my boyfriend that exact night. Weeks later, I remember the dream and I freaked out because I thought it really happened. I was convinced that it was real and it really happened. I remembered the dream very well, and it seemed super real. I was almost sure it had happened. But I asked all my friends and they said no, I asked the guys who I dreamed about and they said no. It never happened. It was all a marijuana/alcohol induced dream. It seemed so real though. I was ok for a few days, and then it struck me. I remembered something else. I was at my sister's friends shed having a few beer and a few joints of marijuana. Apparently, I went home and dreamed that I cheated on my boyfriend again, and i dreamed that i told my sister and she got pissed and stuff but she said no way did it happen. She said she would remember if I told her I cheated on my boyfriend. I would NEVER cheat on him, he is the only guy I have ever been with and would ever want to be with. We were together for 6 years and I'm still not 100% comfortable sexually with him, so I wouldn't be able to just go out and have sex with some random guy...I do trust my sister, but that wasn't enough. I had to call the guys...They said no. Another flippin dream! I hate this. It's so retarded. I just got back from the doctor and he said that it's one of the side effects of marijuana. I am never touching it again, nor touching alcohol. This really woke me up. From now on, I'm sober Smile
|

replied April 6th, 2009
Marijuana making me think my dreams really happened...
I went out drinking with my friends, drank 1/2 dozen beer and smoked marijuana. I got buzzed, and I felt good, but then I started feeling drunk, so I decided to go home. When I went home, I went to bed, and must have dreamed that i cheated on my boyfriend that exact night. Weeks later, I remember the dream and I freaked out because I thought it really happened. I was convinced that it was real and it really happened. I remembered the dream very well, and it seemed super real. I was almost sure it had happened. But I asked all my friends and they said no, I asked the guys who I dreamed about and they said no. It never happened. It was all a marijuana/alcohol induced dream. It seemed so real though. I was ok for a few days, and then it struck me. I remembered something else. I was at my sister's friends shed having a few beer and a few joints of marijuana. Apparently, I went home and dreamed that I cheated on my boyfriend again, and i dreamed that i told my sister and she got pissed and stuff but she said no way did it happen. She said she would remember if I told her I cheated on my boyfriend. I would NEVER cheat on him, he is the only guy I have ever been with and would ever want to be with. We were together for 6 years and I'm still not 100% comfortable sexually with him, so I wouldn't be able to just go out and have sex with some random guy...I do trust my sister, but that wasn't enough. I had to call the guys...They said no. Another flippin dream! I hate this. It's so retarded. I just got back from the doctor and he said that it's one of the side effects of marijuana. I am never touching it again, nor touching alcohol. This really woke me up. From now on, I'm sober Smile
|

replied June 16th, 2009
It's probably the aftereffects of marijuana. Perhaps you were traumatized. It took me about a year and a half to completely get over the damage caused by my own weed experience. You may also have a condition called, "dissociation". This condition causes people to feel generally disconnected from the world around them. Nine out of ten times, this condition is induced by anxiety.
|

replied October 13th, 2009
I know exactly how you feel, i've been going through it since june 2009 and I'm still there now. The only difference though is i never smoked Marijuana in my life. Lets all pray and hope that this foggy things will soon go away so dat we can start to enjoy our lives as before.
|

replied December 23rd, 2009
My son is 16 and never smoked marijuana. He suffers from severe overwhelming anxiety. He started lexapro which helped his anxiety, but not the foggy, disconnected, dreamlike state. Hes had it 2 months now and just wants to feel normal again! He sleeps just not to feel it. It comes and goes in severity, but is always there. He feels like hes dying...It makes him feel better to know hes not alone!
|

this may or may not be helpful since you most likely would have already noticed, but breathing problems can cause similar effects. lack of oxygen sporadically will put your thoughts into a fog and make you unable to connect with the world around you, as well as keep you from relaxing. maybe when you smoked marijuana it had an adverse effect on your airways or lungs.
|

yes lack of oxygen will give you such kind of feeling so i think when ever you feel like that just relax yourself and sit calmly till that feeling goes off and then continue.
and quit taking marijuana forever.
|

replied December 24th, 2009
No.1, you could have had some bad weed. You should be honest with your Dr. Would you lie to your mechanic.
No.2, If it is your oxygen. Try breathing exercises.
Do this periodically. Take a deep breath and exhale. Do this three times, only on the last one, hold your breath for about 5-8 seconds then exhale. These exercise will increase your lung capacity.
|

User Profile
replied December 24th, 2009
same thing happened to me it probably brought out an underlying anxiety disorder talk to your doctor about starting a low dose of an anti-anxiety med and try to stay calm i know it's easier said then done but if your anxiety decreases so will your feelings of a dream state
|

replied December 14th, 2010
Totally
To: dgkallday

Everything you have said is completely clear to me; I have had the same thing. First, it's marijuana. You as a person, can't handle it, your brain and mind when senses it, can't react well with it. A lot of people are dfferen't in the way their body's react to certain things, and I'm 100 percent positive, the marijuana is the main cause of all your symptoms, which is your body reacting in an anxiety manner. The thing is, you always had been normal, it's just now your body has experienced something so new and something that it doesn't like, which makes you feel completely strange and out of it. It's funny how you said that when you were just looking at your friend and you totally felt just as if in a ream, like maybe you just woke up in some sort. I've gotten these many times, but now I have been on lexapro, and all those weird stupid things stopped. I skate everyday also; and I came to the conclusion that, I just can't smoke marijuana and realized that I have a creative personality and sense of life, which makes marijuana completely the opposite of who I am; you are most likely deep and creative yourself. But anyway, this is really a long time ago when you asked this, but I saw this and thought of just saying how I feel and understand. Stay easy;live. Travis
|

replied June 12th, 2011
i had this today, it was freaking my out. i didnt know what was goin on.. it sorta felt like you where having one of thoes dreams where your falling and then you wake up then you fall back asleep agian and it keeps hapening, i can still feel it but not as bad,, i hope it dosnt last for months? im sorta freakin out.. maybe ill try smoking some more.
|

replied July 6th, 2011
Derealization.
Also, before i had anxiety, i think a month before i smoked [removed by Admin] Smoke with 3 of my friends.. Then i started trippin when i took 5 hits of that.. I couldn't remember how to get home, i was extremely cold, blacked out and thought everything was a dream and i was not really talking but i really was. My heart felt like it stopped pumping and i thought i would die. I didnt, then a month after that i got more stressed out because i thought i had tapeworms.. and boom anxiety a week later.. Started out with dream like feeling, emotionless. Which was labeled as Derealization.. note this: your lucky your not suffering from Depersonalization.. that is much more.. outnerving then the dreamy state that we both feel right now..
|

replied October 16th, 2011
Marijuana dreamlike feeling/after effects
Me too, I feel like i'm living my life but i'm not tottaly woken up. I don't feel thirsty, hungry, etc, i just feel sleepy, slightly seperated from the real world... I feel like i've done a Marijuana overdose, although i don't think that's very possible... I'm 15 and i smoke pot occasionnaly, not at all frequently; anyway, a friday a smoked three joints of a pretty nice weed. The first one just made me a bit dizzy a usual with weed. The second one made my feel good, more than the first one. I noticed that the effects with this weed arrived slowly but lasted a long time. When i took my third one, i felt bad, i had a "bad trip" as one can say. It felt like my life was a dream, nothing was clear. I could hear the stuff around me but my dreamlike vision made it all sensless. Later on, i felt a bit better and clearminded, but when i took a few more hits later one that night, i when back into the state i was earlier... Saturday morning a woke up ok. That night i just took a few hits and felt fine but then i suddenly felt dreamlike again, had kinda blackouts, and stuff. I when straight home to bed but i couldn't sleep, i was also stressing, thinking something might go wrong in my sleep. I felt like i was going to die... Next morning, i'm now typing in what i can feel. I don't feel woken up properly although i slept more than enough. I'm scared, i feel like i'm still half dreaming,etc. Like a Weed hangover or even overdose. I haven't told my parents, i'm just scared and hope hard it will all go away! ...Can anyone help me?

Thanks, and sorry for my writing... Smile
|

This can be either depersonalisation or derealisation. I suffer with both and it is very difficult to deal with but there are a lot of very successful people with depersonalisation disorder there is also a very good book about symptoms and ways to deal with it on amazon. Please research as that will tell you more than I can
|

Overcoming Depersonalization and Feelings of Unreality
Anthony S. David, 2007
This book is now available in the US through amazon.com. Anthony David, is a Professor of Psychiatry at the Maudsley Hospital and Institute of Psychiatry, London. He is one of a number of experts in Dissociation and other psychiatric disorders. The fact that there is now a book available specifically for DP/DR sufferers is astonishing to me. Treatment focus is Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. My sense is this approach would be most helpful for individuals who have just been diagnosed and in the earliest stages of an anxiety disorder accompanied by DP/DR.

This is the book I mentioned. Hope this helps
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I've been, bit by bit, recovering from it, feeling better but i still have this unreal, dreamlike vision of things although it's strongly decreased. The symptomes that i have look a bit like the derealisation ones but i'm not really sure that it's that bad. Sire, i could be related to it but I mean i'm feeling better and i imagine it should be gone by the end of the week... I also know someone who endured a similar kind of overdose on dope; he's fine now, it lasted about a week. I juste hope it will leave, and i'll be back to normal again ! It's the only thing that i wish for so far...

Anyway, thanks for your help, i appreciate it.
|

replied October 17th, 2011
I am pleased th hear that your symptoms are receding as this gives me hope that mine will to. I would advise that if you have had issues from smoking weed then definitely don't try anything heavier as this is what I did and it worsened my symptoms and is the biggest regret of my life. Good luck with your recovery
|

replied October 18th, 2011
I really don't think i'll smoke ganja ever again. I have a very sensitive brain ever since a baby so it is just to dangerous and risky to continue... I do have to say though, I felt like it was going to be gone by the next morning but instead it didn't and i had to leave school and all... I'm not feeling well while writing this, i'm scared and i just wish nothing will be definitive (as it being possible with a kinda overdose on pot)and that i'll be back to normal again so that i can just live my life as before... Sad It is also my biggest regret of my life! ...Thank you though, and good luck with your recovery too.

PS: You also OD? How long has your recovery been so far?..
|