I've dealt with constpation issue my whole life. When I was a small child I was always in the ER with stomach aches and they always said I was full of poop. Well that just became the norm for me. It got worse as I grew up. I am now about to turn 29 and I only go #2 about once every 3 weeks if I am lucky. No foods or drinks make me go anymore. I've tried pretty much every laxative and nothing works. I finally saw a GI dr 1 month or so ago and on my first (and only) visit he told me that if everything I was saying was true, I would have to either be bagged or have to have my colon removed. Well I freaked out. He had me schedule a colonoscopy the next week and gave me a script to have a SITZ marker test done the week after that. I did the colonoscopy and the results were normal. He did a few biopsies as well and they were negative. So I thought I was in the clear. I went and did the SITZ test. It actuallu upset my stomach and made me go #2 twice. Apparently that did not effect my results at all. I got the xray 5 days later. He finally called me last night at 9 PM at night to tell me that I am now a candidate for surgery. All of the rings were still in my colon and were scattered around. I told him that due to my 4 year old son being in school I would have to wait til school let's out for the summer. That way his grandma can take him while I am in the hospital and recovering. He said that was fine and he will see me late spring. He told me just to take what I did or the colonoscopy periodicly to clear myself out until then. I told my mom and she wants to have a 2nd opinion. So I made an appt with a different dr for December to discuss other options for her. I know that I will end up needing the surgery in the end regardless but she wants options, for piece of mind, I guess.

Anyway, I'm very scared and don't know much about what I'm getting into here. I only know what I've read online. My questions mainly are, how will this effect my life after the surgery? I have 2 kids in elementary school so they are a handful. How often estimated would I be going ti the bathroom everyday? Would it be a normal bowel or more like diarreah? Will this effect my sex life? Will I have to see a dr regularly for the rest of my life or be on another medication? I'm sure I have other questionsbut these are all I can think of right now. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 23rd, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

It seems that you might be having a obstructive defecation disorder, requiring you to have a colostomy.

Although it can be difficult to adjust at first, having a colostomy does not mean you cannot have a full and active life.

After a colostomy is formed, the opening in your abdomen (known as the stoma) will produce digestive waste in the form of faeces. The consistency of your faeces will depend which part of your colon is diverted, as well as your diet and fluid intake.

A colostomy pouch will usually be required to collect your faeces. These pouches often need to be removed and replaced when full (usually one to three times a day), although drainable pouches that only need to be replaced every one or two days may be used if you have particularly loose faeces. If you produce faeces in a regular and predictable pattern, you may not always need to wear a colostomy bag. However, as occasional leakages can occur, it is recommended that you wear a small stoma cap. There are also additional products that can make living with a colostomy more convenient, which can be explained by your care givers after your procedure.

Once your bowel has healed, there is no reason why you can't return to work. If your job is particularly strenuous and involves a lot of heavy lifting, you may need to wear a support belt or a girdle.

With regarding to sex after colostomy, several practical issues that could have an impact on your sex life and your relationships.
Women who have had their rectum removed, may find that having sex in the traditional "missionary position" is painful because the rectum no longer supports the vagina during sex. Trying different positions may help.
After surgery, many women also find their vagina is much dryer which can make sex uncomfortable. Applying a lubricating jelly before having sex may help.
Having weight placed on your stoma during sex can be painful, so you may want to avoid positions that could cause pain. Alternatively, you could protect the stoma with a cushion or pillow.

Aside from practical issues, you may be concerned about body image, self-confidence and how your partner may react to your colostomy, which can also have an impact on your sex life. However, it's important to stress that many people who have a colostomy enjoy good sex lives but it can take several months to build up the confidence and trust to make this possible.

Other tips that may help improve your sex life include:
1. changing your appliance before having sex
2. changing your appliance to a small stoma cap before having sex
3. covering the appliance with a satin or cotton cover (if the feel of the appliance against your skin is a distraction during sex)
4. keeping your sense of humour: embarrassing mishaps often occur during sex, whether or not you have a colostomy

Other than your regular prescription medications, no other medications are usually required after colostomy. Having a colostomy shouldn't alter the effectiveness of your usual medication.

I hope the information provided here is helpful.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.