Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Disorder Forum

Dr's say you can't have this illness till 18? I'm 16...

HEllO TO ALL, well i am a 16 year old girl and i am worried i have bipolar,i do study psychology and know fairly a lot about the condition and my father has it, i have had a sort of hard life and at times have had thoughts of suicide however i am a massive wimp and would never hurt myself although i did once cut my arm on purpose and feel kind of guilty for that but i felt overpowered and i did sin, i have high morals and meditate and this allows me to never reach that point again but i wake up every day doubting my mental state and questioning, i have phases were i get aggressive quite easily and can barely sleep and i do literally feel worthless but i also have phases were i think i may be a genius or of some special importance,or cannot stop working and life is a blur, i am unsure what to do, because many doctors say you cannot have this illness till you're 18 and don't diagnose below that, but what if that is too late, i am constantly paranoid and scared, it irritates me and evades m thoughts and it's nice to just write it down tbh rather than bottle it up, i know you probaly won't read this but, oh well...
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2012
I have read it and can give you an answer. I am now 22 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder when I was 16. I had 2 mania episodes and one severe depression. The last one happened when I was 18. Since then I haven't had any problems, no mania, no depression. Of course, I felt sad at times. My main problem is now my lack of self-confidence and because of that, anxiety. I can tell you that I asked many times: why me?, but it is not that hard to seek for peace. I am now at the point where I take only one pill in the evening. My doctor is very confident in me, and tells me every time that I look very stable.
I know what you go through, better than you think. But I can tell you this. Even if you have this condition, it is not as bad as it seems. Sure, it is a hard battle, a constant struggle with yourself, maybe awful times when you feel alone, scared, a prisoner. You are not! Your character defines you, not your problems. You seem to me as a very intelligent young lady. If you want, we can talk some more as I've been to very similar situations when I was 16.
|

User Profile
replied October 25th, 2012
P.S. Sorry for my eventual spelling mistakes or wrong expressions. I am not from an english-speaking country. Smile
|
Must Read
Do you know what bipolar is exactly? And what types of bipolar do doctors classify and diagnose? Learn more basics about bipolar disorder here....
Can stress put you at risk of developing bipolar disorder? Read here for information on risk factors which increase the likelihood that someone becomes bipolar....
Bipolar is difficult to diagnose as an illness ... but bipolar symptoms are usually accompanied by extreme changes. What are the symptoms of bipolar disorder?...