Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Hernia Forum

Dr. Robert Tomas - Desarda Repair Experiences

User Profile
I know there are a few people that have posted about their experience with Dr. Tomas and for the most part all the posts seem to be positive, but I have seen one or two posts saying they had a bad experience with the Desarda repair and Dr. Tomas in general. I read Ouch1that2hurts post about having a feeling of tightness around the groin area where I'm assuming the hernia was repaired. I've also read posts by surferwaterman complaining of chronic pain, but he never mentioned who performed the surgery.

These are links to people who had bad experiences with either Dr. Tomas or the Desarda repair:

Ouch1that2hurts - http://ehealthforum.com/health/anyone-trie d-desarda-technique-for-hernia-repair-t320 142.html
surferwaterman - http://ehealthforum.com/health/looking-for -previous-desarda-patients-t281757.html

I'm hoping that anyone that has visited Dr. Tomas in the past six months or year could provide feedback on their experience. Are there any complications that you've experienced? Have there been any physical limitations? Have you had any recurrences?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper surferwaterman
|

replied April 27th, 2017
I think you have to judge yourself I had dasada repair as far as pain and comfort is concerned I am not having any issue the only thing I am facing is slight discomfort over the place from where my muscle was removed at that place I feel like slight uncomfortable but for first 10 days or something it I was having been at that location. but that was bearable pain so later on I ok after that there is no pain but this slight comfortable my surgeon told me it will take around 3 to 4 month for that uncomfortable to go. As far as recurrence is concerned I can't speak much because even the mess repair recurrence is not documented extensively most of the Medical Journal cover only 3 year period as a reference to document the recurrence even in dasarda case the recurrence is same mesh.if you are young and if you think you have strong muscle then it's better to go for the dasarda if you are old or 55 or something and then it better to go for a mesh The reason I choose the Desarda as I am 32 and there is hardly any document or anything available to know the effect of my Mesh over a period of 20 to 30 years. Every material in the body degrades over a period of time even sutures. So technically after 15 years or something only the scar tissue is supporting of a hernia so strength of scar tissue is enough. And also if u go for mesh and it fails with issues there is big problem to remove and repair but if u go for Desarda u always have mesh as backup. I think superwaferman took running quickly so his sutures got ripped. For Desarda you have to go easy for 12 weeks or so.
|

replied July 6th, 2018
Dr. Tomas a reply to Ouchthathurts.
I had hernia surgery with Dr. Tomas. The experience itself was great (great staff, supportive environment, etc.). I never do anything like the average person, and I felt a tightness and loss of feeling and pain (not bad pain, but I wanted to feel zero) for longer than the 3-4 months that they said it would happen. My response to Ouchthathurts is to give it longer. Dr. Tomas's staff said that I probably had some scar tissue that needed to be worked off and to move around more. I had already noticed that when I jogged, it felt tight and hurt, but that afterward, it felt better. I has now been one year and 2 months and I am 100% back to normal. No tightness, no pain, no numbness. It did not take me one year and two months to get back to normal either - I was back to normal at some point last year, but I can't remember when. The point is, some people take longer than others - I'm one of them, but I think the technique is great, Dr. Tomas is great, and I'm now back to where I was before except that I no longer have my guts hanging out. I may be developing another hernia in a different location, and I'll go back to Dr. Tomas again - thank heaven I have no mesh inside me! Desarda is the way to go.
|

replied May 2nd, 2017
Don't do it. Single worse decision of my life.

They called it tension free. When you read Desardas explanation of the surgery he says the tension on the inguinal ligament is part of the dynamic nature of the repair. Contradictory ? Slightly.

Look at what professional athletes are doing. Pain and movement is a far greater concern to me than recurrence. I know of no professional athletes who have had this procedure.

Steer clear.
|

replied May 3rd, 2017
I feel sorry for you... I think sutures getting ripped and coming out of skin is because of wrong surgical procedure and not anything wrong with technique.. See Mesh will never be as flexible as our own tissue and muscle. Agreed Mesh repair has quick recovery but even in Mesh you have to avoid heavy activity for 6 weeks...
Can you please tell me what you have done now? I mean you have repaired it with Mesh or had simple procedure and how are you feeling now?
|

User Profile
replied May 3rd, 2017
So were you a patient of Dr. Tomas? I got in contact with another surgeon in California, Dr. Burns, but he's only done about 60 Desarda repairs since 2011 according to his office. They informed me that they've had two patients with recurrences.

I have come across a few bodybuilders that had the procedure done. You can do a quick Google search:
You can see one of the posts by Loewen.Steven. I came across a few other members that also had the Desarda repair there.

There's a follow up post here by Loewen.Steven where he says he recovered nicely.

I'm curious why you you had trouble considering the medical studies I've seen all seem to suggest that the Desarda repair is just as good as the Lichtenstein.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/1863 4379/
http://ehealthforum.com/health/jump_confir m.php?url=https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc /articles/PMC3321139/#!po=87.9032
|

replied May 4th, 2017
I had done surgery in India and not from any US surgeon.. Any repair whether mesh or non mesh will have similar result in terms of recurrence if taken proper precaution...
|

replied May 3rd, 2017
I personally dont know any professional athletes. Professional athletes typically dont get inguinal hernias they get sports hernias. Your a professional athlete typically when your in your early 20s. Your getting a inguinal hernia typically at a older age. They also care nothing more then getting back to being a professional athlete because they will lose there job if they sit around for 12 weeks in many cases. So they opt for the shortest recovery which is laparoscopic mesh repair.
|

replied May 3rd, 2017
Exactly. That is my point. You are spot on.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
We review the definition of a hiatal hernia, what causes it, and types of hernias in this Introduction to Hiatal Hernia....
Do you know the difference between a small and large hiatal hernia? Know when to seek medical help? Hiatal hernia symptoms and more here....
Hiatal hernias are diagnosed clinically. But what lab tests and procedures can help confirm hiatal hernia? We review the medical exams here....