Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Neurological Disorders Forum

Doxycycline induced intracranial hypertension?

I am on the 2nd day of doxycycline for a uti (urine test was negative except for step b cells in culture but I've had symptoms for over a week). Today my head felt like it would explode. The pressure was unbelievable- it was the worst headache I've ever had and the only one that's ever involved my entire head. It is starting to subside somewhat 9 hours after taking this morning's pill, but is still painful. Is this a typical headache from doxcycline or could it be intracranial hypertension? I don't want to take the chance of damaging my vision, however, I am allergic to most antibiotics so I don't know what I'd switch to.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 26th, 2009
This could be intracranial hypertension. There is no way to know trully. I developed IH from doxycycline and it took months for doctors to figure out what is going on. Tell your doctor about the headaches and if you don't feel safe taking the doxycycline don't. When you stop taking the doxycycline the IH may reside or it may not. You may also want to have your eyes examined to make sure that no damage has been done.
|

replied May 14th, 2009
intracranial hypertension
Same problem with doxycycline (supposed Lyme disease) , it gave me on the 3rd day intracranial hypertension. I've stopped this drug. Others drugs taken simultaneously Cotareg 80, Pravastatine 20
JPL
|

replied November 13th, 2010
My 16 yo son has been taking doxycycline for acne for 1 year. He gets classic migraines with aura, but 4 weeks ago started developing new migraine "variant" symptoms - blurred and double vision, eye crossing, lightheadedness, extreme fatigue, cognitive deficits, balance issues. Symptoms abate when prone, but increase with sitting and standing. Kid is an athlete and was in heavy duty training when symptoms started and increased. Stopped the doxycycline one week ago. Negative MRI. Does he need a lumbar puncture to rule out intracranial hypertenstion/pseudotumor - or a dilated eye exam first and then the lp?
|

replied July 18th, 2011
Great antibiotic doxycycline treatment for the following diseases:
Great doxycycline antibiotic you can use it for any of the following:
âspam¢ respiratory tract infections
âspam¢ urinary tract infections
âspam¢ sexually transmitted diseases
âspam¢ skin infections such as acne
âspam¢ infections of the eye
âspam¢ rickettsial infections such as Q fever or tick fever
âspam¢ other infections such as MALARIA, cholera, brucellosis,leptospirosis, psittacosis and fevers caused by lice or ticks.

or prevent:

âspam¢ travellers diarrhoea, scrub typhus, leptospirosis and MALARIA.
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....