Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

doubt regarding the HIV test included in the STD panel

Sir,

I did a STD panel test from lab in india after 16 months of possible risk exposure. Among many test in the STD Panel test, HIV was one of them. All of the results were negative. However I have one doubt regarding the HIV test included in the STD panel package. In the HIV report part, lab has given as below

HIV 1 & 2 ANTIBODIES SCREENING TEST, [email protected]
HIV 1/2 & P24 COMBO TEST
(CMIA)
INDEX VALUE 0.41
RESULT NON REACTIVE

I enquired customer care service of the lab regarding the HIV test details and ask them whether the provided test would detect both antigen and antibody. But they didnt able to provide me a clear answer as i expected. So I was bit tensed regarding the test that it might detect only P24 antigen and not antibodies.

My questions are

1.Does the test mentioned in report detect both antigen and
antibody?

2. To which generation the given test belongs ?

3.Did I took correct test and Do I need to take any additional test?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile
|

User Profile
replied December 14th, 2014
Welcome to e health forum.

The Test you have done - HIV 1/2 & P24 COMBO TEST - is a 4th Generation ELISA test for HIV, and it detects both the Antibodies for HIV 1 / HIV 2 as well as the presence of Antigen P24.

It is the proper test done to screen for HIV infection in your case.

It is 100% sensitive for both HIV-1/2 antibody and p24 antigen detection. Its specificity is 99.77% in individuals at low risk for HIV infection. Hence it is a very accurate test for HIV screening.

A person after exposure to HIV can get ‎tested as early as 4 weeks to 12 weeks with the ELISA for ‎HIV antibody test. ‎‎‎90% of normal individuals who have HIV ‎exposure, will seroconvert (which means - having a positive HIV test result) within 4-6 weeks. ‎

The ‎sensitivity of the ELISA ‎test is 99.9%. ‎

If all the tests were done after waiting for appropriate periods post exposure, and the test results are normal, then no additional testing would be required. If the testing was done very early , the tests results may be not be dependable.

I hope this answers your questions. If you have any doubts, you may consult your doctor who can interpret the test results and clear your mind.

|
Users who thank DEEPAK ANVEKAR for this post: TAM1975 

replied December 16th, 2014
As I said testing was done after 16 months of possible risk exposure and the result was non reactive so I guess my results are conclusive and I am HIV Negative.
|
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our HIV and AIDS , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.