Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Dosulepin and general anaesthetic ?

User Profile
I have been taking dosulepin for around 4 months, 50mg per night. Over the last couple of weeks I have reduced my dose gradually and have now stopped taking them.

I read somewhere that dosulepin can cause problems during a general anaesthetic. Does anyone know if this is true?

How long do dosulepin stay in the system for and how many weeks before a GA should I stop taking them?

I am due to have a GA on April 21st. The last date I took dosulepin was March 28th. Will I be safe?

Many Thanks.

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied April 5th, 2010
Depression Answer A11096
Hi, welcome to the ehealth forum and I am glad to help you.
You seem concerned by the interactions between the tricyclic antidepressant dosulepin and the general anaesthetic agents.
You seem to be using Dosulepin for the treatment of symptoms of depressive illness –in particular, because of its anti-anxiety effects.
Anaesthetics given during tricyclic antidepressant therapy may increase the risk of arrhythmias and hypotension. If surgery is necessary, the anaesthetist should be informed that a patient is being so treated or much safer is to slowly withdraw Dosulepin completely, if possible, 2-3 weeks before elective surgery.
You still have 3 weeks before surgery so there seems to be adequate safety as far as the interaction of Dosulepin with GA is concerned.
Hope this helps. Take care.
Note: This post is not to emphasise final diagnosis as the same cannot be made online and is aimed just to provide medical information and no treatment suggested above be taken without face to face consultation with health care professional.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Depression , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.