Medical Questions > Mental Health > Self Injury Forum

Don' t Know how to talk about SI

I have been self injuring for six years now but haven't cut since febuary and now I have hit a bump. I want to talk to friends people that I know understand but I can't because i don't want them to get the idea that self injury would be something cool to do.\, or for a few of them that they would start again because I bring it up and for others that I would potentially talk to would be brought down by the fact that i am struggling. I don't want to hurt any one so I feel trapped and that I am all alone because I just don't know how to approch the topic or tell a someone when I am on the edge because if I fall it will seem like a cliff that
I will fall from with all the work I have put in for staying SI free this long any advice:?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 12th, 2011
Experienced User
I pray all the time I am baptist and have been for a while but didn't grow up in the church it is all my choice my parents don't like that i go but i still do because my faith is important
|

User Profile
replied May 16th, 2011
it's great that you haven't cut since february! keep it up!
i personally would talk to someone who doesn't/hasn't cut because you quite rightly said you don't want them to start again. for the others, if you talk to them about it in a more serious way, they won't think it's cool. i kind of had that when i was younger and a friend i told thought it was cool and started cutting herself too, but it was because of the way she found out and how we acted about the subject.
but don't feel like you're bringing your friends down because that is what they are there for. just think about if the situation was reversed, wouldn't you want your friend to talk to you if they were struggling? wouldn't you ask them to never hesitate to talk to you? for a longlong time i never told anyone because i thought i'd bring them down, but i then realised that i'm always wanting my friends to talk to me if they're down or anything, and i was right and it's really helped. also whenever i'm desperately wanting to cut i just text my friend saying 'distract me' and she knows exactly what i mean and she'll call me and we'll just talk about nothing for hours until i've completely forgotten about the craving i had.
just remember, you are not alone. your friends are there for you, you just need to take the first step and open up to them.
hope i've been helpful, let me know how it goes (:
|

replied May 20th, 2011
Experienced User
Thank you teaking I will keep that in mind unfortunatly i slipped up but it wasn't bad in my opinion which I have found to differ with some people but they are already begining to heal so I guess that is a good thing. I just am not sure if it is only bringing people down but the way my one friend looks at me i can't trust hwer and she seems chokingly motherly so I don't know what to do because even though the scars are there and people can see them when people mention them it makes me so mad at my self why would I do something like this and I do it again because I am mad that i was stupid and did it makes no since huh?
|

User Profile
replied May 21st, 2011
It's good that it's already beginning to heal, but cutting still isn't a good thing, no matter how bad it is. I used to think to same, for a long time I thought punching the wall didn't count, turns out it does =/
What do you mean by 'the way your friend looks at you'? If she looks at you like she's judging you, she has no right. But it may be because she doesn't really understand what cutting is to a person, it's difficult for people to understand why people cut because they themselves would never think of doing it, so maybe explain to her and she won't look at you in that way?
You're not stupid to cut, it's just that it's not the way to deal with things. For that moment when you get mad at yourself for cutting, you are seeing that it's wrong. It's something so difficult to see otherwise, like when you're in that need to cut. If you're having those moments where you regret cutting, it's a good thing, it means you are beginning to see that cutting is not the way forward, along with the fact that you had stopped for 3 months before. So don't stop yourself from regretting, obviously don't dwell on it, but try to remember how you regretted it before you do it again?
Hope I'm making some sense?
|

replied May 21st, 2011
Experienced User
Ya you are making since and I am not sure what her look is it is kinda like a judgment but a worry but I can't trust her not that she is that type of person I don't know.
|

User Profile
replied June 13th, 2011
I haven't cut since May 7 of this year, and its been a 5 year battle for me.
What I do when I feel the need to cut, I call my good friend on the phone and say my bridge is about to break. She knows exactly what I am talking about.
She has never cutt before although she is 55, yet she gets me.
ALl you have to do is find that one friend who will stay with you through thick and thin and you are set no matter what situation you are in.

I hate when my friends/teachers give that judging look. I have learned though sometimes it is not a judging look, it is a puzzled look because they don't understand.
|
Tags: alone
Quick Reply
Must Read
Minor and more serious burns account for over 2 million doctor visits each year. But what is a burn? And what happens to the skin when it gets burned?...
Why are children at risk of burns? And what agents can cause the skin to burn? More on causes of skin burns and risk factors you can avoid here....
When should you seek medical help for a skin burn? We review common symptoms of burned skin as well as symptoms of airway burns here....