Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Abdominal Pain Forum

doing crunches I feel a sudden stabbing?

User Profile
This morning while doing crunches I felt a sudden stabbing in my lower abdomen. The pain went away when I stood up but every time I did an exercise where I needed to use my abs I felt the sharp stabbing pain again. After my workout I iced the area and took an Aleve. While sitting I feel a dull ache but am fine once I stand up. Do I need to see the doctor for this? Can I continue to work out if I make modifications so I’m not doing ab exercises?

Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile

User Profile
replied March 28th, 2012
Abdominal Pain Answer A33332
Welcome to e health forum.

The description of the pain is mostly due to a muscle sprain, due to abnormal posture maintained during the act described. Such pain can respond to medications like Ibuprofen 400 mg taken three times a day. This generally resolves within a week.

In case, you seem to have severe symptoms which are unusual, and prevent you to sleep, work or do your regular routine normally, you might consult with your doctor for a examination and treatment with muscle relaxants and better pain killers.

In the mean time, you can avoid extreme workouts and stop exercising for a few days if you have moderate to severe pain. Continue to apply ice or heat pads over the area, as they will be very helpful to reduce pain and speedup recovery.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Abdominal pain and bellyaches are common. Though most cases of abdominal pain aren't serious, sometimes you will need to see a doctor. We’ll review some of...
Abdominal pain can be uncomfortable but is very common. But when is pain in the abdomen serious? Learn how to describe your symptoms more accurately so that yo...
It's important to "know your pain" to help your doctor diagnose the reason behind abdominal pain. Read on for more tools and information about how to diagnose ...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Abdominal Pain , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.