Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Yeast Infection Forum

Does this sound like a typical yeast infection?

User Profile
Im pretty sure I had A yeast Infection. Used the normal Monistat treatment and the itching and rash went away. My husband also developed a rash on his penis. It was also red and itchy. His went away with the use of cortisone cream. The problem is his rash keeps coming back. I have no rash or itching at all but it feels like I may have a UTI and there is still an off odor.I also have mild cramps which are probably from a UTI. Does this sound like a typical yeast infection?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 14th, 2010
Yeast Infection Answer A17093
Hi, and thanks for your medical question on eHealth forum!

Itch, rash, odor all go more in favor of bacterial vaginosis. A fishy odor that is felt most after sex or washing with soap goes in favor of bacterial vaginosis. Bacterial vaginosis is usually caused by Gardnerella vaginalis bacteria or a combination of bacteria. A decrease in the good bacterial flora (lactobacillus) and an increase in infection causing bacterial is the cause. It is not clear how the infection comes. It's not thought to be a STD as women who have not had sex can also get it. Vaginal douching, new or multiple sexual partners and smoking are thought to contribute towards the vaginosis. Diagnosis is generally by a wet mount slide showing the presence of ‘clue cells’. Bacterial vaginosis can affect the male partner but not in the same way as it affects the female. This is because the male genitals do not have an area like the vagina which can house this infection. Men can carry traces of these bacteria in the urethra and if they multiply it can re-infect the woman.Treatment is usually by antibiotics. Generally it is treated by metronidazole given to both partners to completely eliminate the disease and to be doubly on the safe side. Although not termed as an STD yet, it is advisable to use a condom until the Bacterial Vaginosis is eliminated totally from the body.

Both you and your husband should go for complete STD panel as chalmydia, gonorrhea and trachomatis infection needs to be ruled out. If you use condoms then it could also be due to condom allergy. It could also be fungal infection. Since a confirmed diagnosis cannot be given on net please discuss these possibilities with your gynecologist once and get yourself examined. Your husband also needs to consult a skin specialist or an urologist. Hope this helps. Take care!

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Yeast infection and candida albicans basics - we review causes and risk factors. Start learning how to fight yeast infections by clicking here....
Yeast infections affect warm, moist parts of the body. Learn the signs and symptoms of yeast infections as they appear on the skin, oral and genital areas....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Yeast Infection , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.