Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease Forum

does this indicate ALS? Should I see a neuro?

User Profile
I'm a 24 year old male. I have had many troubling symptoms for almost a year now. It started with alot of back and abdominal pain. I suffer from health anxiety, so I assumed the worst. I went to the doctor multiple times and after several tests (blood work, ct scans, etc) my doctor decided my symptoms were most likely anxiety related. A few weeks later I started having significant twitching in my right shoulder, which over time spread all over my body. I also have pain in my joints and other parts of my bodily almost always. I still have them, just not as frequently as I had before. A few weeks ago I started having cramping in my hands and feet. It doesn't seem to go away. My doctor said I should try taking a multivitamin so she prescribed me one. This morning while looking at my hand I noticed my right hand looks atrophied. Not significantly, just that the muscle under my thumb looks smaller, and my knuckles are more prominent. Does any of this indicate ALS? Should I see a neuro?

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied February 9th, 2015
ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease Answer A51022
Hello and Welcome

I appreciate your concern

No, this history does not indicate ALS. ALS involves a combination of Upper and lower motor neurons abnormality. Since there has been no major intervention to treat, the history indicates a psychiatric element to these symptoms. You should consult an internal medicine doctor initially to advise routine investigations and perform the relevant physical exam. If necessary a neurological consult would be advised in case there is any atrophy of your hand muscles. A psychiatric consult may be advised to look for any anxiety or depression related to your illness/symptoms. Behavioral cognitive therapy and appropriate medications can be added thereafter.

wishing you best of health

thanks

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Quick Reply
Must Read
Learn the basics about various conditions and diseases, including risk factors, diagnosis, and treatment options....
Learn about risk factors to developing a certain conditions and diseases. ...
Learn about screening and diagnosis options available for certain conditions and diseases....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our ALS, Lou Gehrig Disease , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.