Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > High Blood Pressure and Hypertension Forum

Does this count as treated? 22 years old hypertension

So I began to take benicar HCTZ to combat hypertension. It is now an average of 128/75 on my machine, although I very often get readings of 125-135 systolic/60-75 diastolic.

I am a compulsive checker "anxiety and ocd" so I check almost 30 times a day " I know, crazy".

Anyway sometimes when I check I will get a 150/70 reading, although about 2 minutes later it falls back down to 130/70. Should I worry about that reading? My doctor says that as long as most of the time if it is under control that is the goal, that occasional high readings should be ignored.

Can I trust her and believe that my HTN is finally treated? Please comment on numbers.

Todays readings.

124/71
137/75
133/72
142/70
129/72
150/74
122/68
128/71
124/67
138/74
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied December 11th, 2011
Ok, I am nowhere near an expert on this, so I probably shouldn't comment on your actual readings. Although, according to the chart, they definitely don't look too out of whack - pre-hypertensive. But, I would like to say that you made me feel much better about checking mine twice a day! I saw that mine had risen somewhat drastically a few days ago, and so I've been checking it twice a day ever since. I felt crazy about that.. 30 times a day seems like a lot... does your doc tell you to check it that often?
|

No, in fact she told me to stop checking. But my ocd makes me constantly check, because out of 20 or so readings I get a high one and it worries me.
|

I would definitely stop checking it that often if I were you! Stress/Anxiety can certainly cause it to go up. I know it's tough, but maybe limit yourself to only checking it 2-3 times a day instead of 30. Again, I'm no doctor, but your numbers don't seem to be that concerning that you should be driving yourself crazy like that! Smile

Here's an example for you - I checked mine after work this evening in hopes it went down from yesterday... it was 150/90 - super high, right? So, I walked around the store (where I checked it) for about 5 minutes, tried to calm myself down, took some deep breaths.. then I took it again - 137/85. Far from my usual BP, but it just goes to show that a lot if it is in your head. When you're anxious about it, of course it will make for a higher reading!

Take care of yourself and good luck!! Smile
|
Must Read
What exactly is blood pressure in the first place? And how can you know if your blood pressure is either high OR low?...
Millions of American have blood pressure problems. Learn what can put you at risk of high or low blood pressure here....
High blood pressure and low blood pressure manifest physical symptoms. Learn the signs of hypertension and hypotension here....