Medical Questions > Womens Health > Endometriosis Forum

Does thick womb lining always mean endometriosis

Okay, so went to the doc 2 days ago and had an internal vaginal scan thing which showed i have PCOS. i can just about deal with that fact.
The nurse said so there's half your problem, and then went on to tell me my womb lining is thick and i'll need to have a biopsy!! to figure the reason out.
I've just cried with worry, does thick lining always mean the worst? I have no symptoms apart from no period. Endometriosis sounds horrific and i'm terrified

Anyone had the biopsy?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied October 1st, 2015
Hello,

Welcome to the ehealthforum and I am glad to help you out.

Endometriosis is one of the causes of thick endometrial lining of the uterus. Other than that, it can be caused by obesity, polycystic ovarian disease, estrogen producing tumours (e.g. granulosa cell tumour) and certain formulations of estrogen replacement therapy.

You need a detailed examination to confirm the diagnosis.

I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and regards.
|

replied October 11th, 2015
Little update.
Been for blood tests which are all okay.
Went to discuss my scan results with my GP, he said yes there are cysts on the ovaries but it's not always PCOS. I cried my eyes out in the surgery, he said he's 99.9% sure it's not cancer or anything major but they'll still send my for a hospital appointment with the gynaecologist.
My uterine wall lining is 15mm and i'm sure i read there are small cysts on the wall.
Thing is i've been bleeding for the past month now, past week very heavy.
I've seen 2 senior doctors who keep telling me not to panic about the bleeding etc. Maybe it's a backlog from not having a period for 6 months after stopping the pill.
Yes, i've been told NOT to WORRY but i still am.....
|

replied December 11th, 2015
Medical management like [removed by Admin] is usually tried first. But to be certain you have endometriosis, your doctor may refer you to a surgeon to look inside your abdomen for signs of endometriosis using a surgical procedure called laparoscopy. While you're under general anesthesia, your surgeon makes a tiny incision near your navel and inserts a slender viewing instrument (laparoscope), looking for endometrial tissue outside the uterus. He or she may take samples of tissue (biopsy). Laparoscopy can provide information about the location, extent and size of the endometrial implants to help determine the best treatment options.
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
What is endometriosis and where does it occur on a woman's body? We outline the basics of endometriosis here, a condition that can affect millions of women....
Endometriosis can cause infertility...but what are the reasons that a woman might experience this condition? And what puts you at higher risk for developing it?...
Early symptoms of endometriosis can seem normal. But when should you ask your doctor for help? We outline the problem signs and symptoms here....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Endometriosis , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.