Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Insect Bites Forum

does raised bump about 2 inches big mean I'm allergic?

Must Read
Insect bites can be difficult to identify. Learn why the body reacts to insect bites, and which types of insects cause which kinds of illnesses here....
Were you bitten by a stinging or biting or bloodsucking insect? We review the most common bites humans get, plus info on who is most at risk of insect bites....
What are some of the signs of a serious insect bite? When do you need help? Learn to identify types of insect bites and know when they are serious....
User Profile
When I get bitten by mosquitos, it forms a raised bump about 2 inches big. Does that mean I'm allergic to mosquito bites?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 30th, 2011
Insect Bites Answer A27265
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

With any form of insect bites, it is common to have some form of inflammatory response of the skin , at the site of the bite.

But in most common cases, it is limited to varying degrees of redness, swelling, itching and sometimes sensitivity or pain. But this lasts for a short time, and easily subsides within a few hours.

In some individuals, such a response can be exaggerated and result in anaphylactic reaction. Anaphylaxis is a severe, whole-body allergic reaction to a allergen. After being exposed to a substance such as bee sting venom, the person's immune system becomes sensitized to it. On a later exposure to that allergen, an allergic reaction may occur. This reaction happens quickly after the exposure, is severe, and involves the whole body.

Symptoms develop rapidly, often within seconds or minutes. They may include - Abdominal pain or cramping, ‎Abnormal (high-pitched) breathing sounds , Anxiety , Confusion, Cough, Diarrhea, Difficulty breathing, Difficulty ‎swallowing , Fainting, light-headedness, dizziness , Hives, itchiness, Nasal congestion, Nausea, vomiting, Palpitations, ‎Skin redness, Slurred speech and wheezing. ‎

With regard to your symptoms it appears to be a simple inflammatory reaction to the bite and will resolve on its own soon with conservative measures like application of ice, OTC antihistamines (Claritin or benadryl) and Hydrocortisone cream (1 %).

In case of doubts, you can consult your doctor who after an examination can advise accordingly.

Did you find this post helpful?
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Insect Bites , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.