My mom is 96 years old; very skinny and fragile. She likes to chew foods but she does not swallow food. She takes a long time to chew foods; she does not swallow food but left foods inside her mouth.

She has great vision. Very alert of who around her and their names. She does not speak much. But she can fit you a short sentence and get right back at you if she doesn�¢ï¿½ï¿½t like what you said about her. No nonsense talking; she is very sharp mind.

I truly understood my mother is weak and fragile due to not swallowing foods. My question is: Is her throat muscle gone that�¢ï¿½ï¿½s why she does not swallow food or there could be some other reasons. I live few thousand miles away from her and I only see here every few months. My relatives over there did not feed me too much info about her. They just said my mom does not swallow food and just kept leaving food inside her mouth. My concern is I want her to live longer to see her grandson flourish. Is there a way that we can help her swallow her food beside putting tubes into her arms?

Thanks,
MuiMui-Lee
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 15th, 2011
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

From the history provided here, it seems that your mom, might be having weakness of the throat muscles or esophageal motility disorder.

She might benefit by consultation with a gastroenterologist, who can examine her, and then determine the cause of her dysphagia.

|

replied May 17th, 2011
Thank you very much Doctor Anvekar.
Due to her age, do you think her dysphagia can be treated and she can swallow freely again?

MuiMuiLee
|
Must Read
Feeling constipated? Do you know how constipation is medically defined? Get the basics on this common gastrointestinal complaint here....
Are you experiencing severe or chronic constipation? Learn about causes of constipation here....
Constipation is defined differently by different people. Learn to identify signs and symptoms of constipation and know when to ask for medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Digestive and Bowel Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.