Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Does music affect your mood as far as making you depressed?

User Profile
People tend to think that the kind of music I listen to will make you depressed, just because I am a depressed person. I love screamo. But is it the cause of depression?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 14th, 2010
I can personally say from all that I've dealt with, that yes--music is the quantissential element in a person's mood and/or behavior. What goes in must come out. If ya watch, listen to, see, feel etc...pain, hurt, danger, anger etc...that, to me; is what a person will deal with. Altho it may sound weird as all get out, just be open and experiment with listening to music without words, pretty melodies with a nice and slow rhythym, or even just waves with seagulls in the distance. If you'll but allow yourself to be caught up in the moment you may find yourself in amazement. Go for it. Enjoy.
|

replied July 14th, 2010
No Zelda, I'm pretty sure you're genuinely depressed by life situations.
|

replied July 16th, 2010
Listening to a depressing song might make you feel sad for a few minutes, but it shouldn't make you feel that way all the time. It's likely that a depressed person will listen to depressing music because they are able to relate to it. I think someone who isn't depressed would have enough control over their emotions to keep themselves from being extremely affected by depressing music. If you're feeling depressed, try listening to some happier music! And even more importantly, talk to someone about it. If you have chronic depression, talking to someone about it is an important start to get you feeling better.
|

replied July 17th, 2010
i once had to listen to coldplay for over 1 hour str8 in my mates car......i am still seeking councilling now sigh i was so happy b4 then : )

to be serious i would say everythink affects our mood ideally music should only be very short term but if u are finding urself drawn to depressing music i would say if u want out of a hole change this. If i asked the question....

if u feel depressed and u obviously want out of it then y listen to music that u admit is depressing ???

music definately affects moods tho i would never go to a garage event for example the music is MOODY especially with the heaveier B-line if u go to a reflex or any other 80's bar the mood is much better and in my opinion thats a FACT. have u ever heard of a shooting / stabbing fallowing a spandau ballet gig???

my advice is get rid and see if it makes any difference after a few weeks

Rgds
|

replied July 22nd, 2010
I think it depends on the person. Especially those of us who love and feel the song.
It effects one's doing, why not our emotions?
Ever notice during a movie, especially involving gangs and shootings, on comes Rap.. 'Not that all Rap is bad, or meaning murder.'
Or movies about drugs..suddenly, 60's/70's drug songs pop up?
Drama...slow beat..violins...

Yes, music can alter our moods, but moreso when depression is already a part of our lives.
|

replied July 27th, 2010
Are you kidding me?
Does thinking that I'm a worthless piece of it all the time make me feel depressed?
Look, its self reinforcing what people listen to pretty much reflects their state of mind. So while it may not be the direct cause it certainly reinforces it. maybe if you get tired of being depressed you will look into other possibilities
|
Quick Reply
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....