Medical Questions > Nutrition > Weight Loss Forum

does low birthweight lead to adult obesity? what should i do?

hi there. I am male, 32, approx. 175cm tall and weigh approx. 100kg. I am an identical twin, we were born around 5-6 weeks prematurely, very low birthweight, in special care unit for a while (I don't have the exact details of the birth to hand). As a child I was a "normal" weight - I ate healthily and exercised frequently. I moved away from home for university and had a horrendous diet, mostly pizza and alcohol. But I maintained a nice slender figure by playing every sport under the sun most of the time I wasn't eating or drinking. Then real life started when I entered he world of work. Sport went out the window and my weight went out of control. I peaked at 105kg a couple of years ago and took drastic action. I did a fitness bootcamp and extreme nutrition plan (basically water, fruit, veg, fish, chicken and a very few other allowable foods) and dropped to 78kg in under 4 months. I stopped doing the training but kept up the nutrition plan for 12 months with zero cheats and my weight stayed stable. then I decided to go off the plan and just be "sensible". this is where I really struggle. I am constantly hungry and very rarely feel full. my body feels like its constantly urging me to eat. on the plan this was ok, I could have an apple, then a pear, some sardines, a ricecake, and 10 other things straight after each other and i'd be fine. I've recently spoken to my twin about it, he has similar experiences and told me about some research that he discovered, finding that low birthweight babies had a condition that caused them to constantly forage for food into adulthood, all stemming from the first few days of needing to gain weight urgently to stay alive. is there any truth in that, and if so, can anything be done to suppress my appetite? it certainly seems to make a lot of sense for me. i know ultimately i am responsible for what i eat, and I know willpower is the best way but it would be amazing to get that feeling everyone else apparently gets, when eating an excessively large meal and giving up halfway through as they "were so full." What should I do? Just man up, accept responsibility and constantly resist the temptation to over-eat, use appetite suppressants (not looked into these before) or have you got any other suitable advice? thanks in advance. paul
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied July 15th, 2014
thank you for asking
your low birth weight has slightest connection here with your weight and the lifestyle of yours has more and confirming connection causing all the troubles.we all know what to do and what not to to keep and maintain weight. for the height of 175 cm you should be no more than 68 kg at any cost.
i hope it helps. consider what i said. visit our obesity health centre for further guidance.
tale care
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is metabolic syndrome and how is it characterized? Get started by learning more about metabolic or insulin resistance syndrome here....
Is insulin resistance related to metabolic syndrome? Does a poor diet cause metabolic syndrome? And are you at risk of developing this metabolic disorder?...
Does metabolic syndrome manifest any symptoms? Learn the characteristic signs and symptoms of metabolic problems, plus know when to seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Weight Loss , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.