Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > HIV and AIDS Forum

Does HIV produce only HIV antibodies?

Does HIV produce only HIV specific antibodies, or can it produce other more non-specific antibodies? The reason I ask is I was tested positive for what what my doctor said were ANH antibodies - leading him to think I may have arthritis, but said they weren't necessarily specific to arthritis. I need to get an updated HIV test, and this news concerned me.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Extremely eHealthy
HIV virus causes the body to produce HIV specific antibodies.
I guess your doctor was talking about ANA, antinuclear antibodies, that work against your own body (autoantibodies).
The ANA test can be positive in many conditions that are of autoimmune character (immune system attacks and destroys the body's normal tissues), as it is a rheumatoid arthritis.
This test can support the diagnosis of rheumatoid arthritis, but, the final diagnosis is made along with your symptoms, physical examination, and other tests.
ANA test can be positive in Systemic lupus erythematosus, Polymyositis, Scleroderma, Sjögren's syndrome, all with autoimmune nature.
|
Users who thank MandMs for this post: homerx 

User Profile
replied May 20th, 2008
Community Volunteer
We discussed ANH in other posts with tellyer in this forum. If tellyer was speaking about ANA then that is something all together different.
MandMs, good answer.HIV virus causes the body to produce HIV specific antibodies.
|
Users who thank homerx for this post: MandMs 
Must Read
Do you know what causes HIV? Get started by learning the facts on HIV and AIDS here....
Do you know what puts you at high risk of HIV? Debunk the myths and get the facts of HIV risk factors here....
Can you identify early HIV symptoms. Learn what to look for and when to seek medical help as we review symptoms of HIV here....