Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Epilepsy Forum

Does either Depakote or Keppra affect growth?

I was just wondering if anyone has any evidence/knows of any studies that suggest the anti-epileptic drugs Depakote (Valproic Acid) and Keppra (levetiracetam) affect height growth in any way? Thanks.

P.S: I came across this article: http://jcn.sagepub.com/content/19/1/26.sho rt
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper pwvillalta
|

replied February 6th, 2012
Depakote-slowing growth rate
My daughter is 13 and has been on Depakote since she was 9 years old (3rd grade). At the start of 6th grade she weighed exactly the same as she did in 3rd grade and had only grown 2 inches. On average she should have been growing 2 inches per year (3 years=6in.). I am not sure if it was actually the Depakote or the fact that she slept terrible on Dep and never really fell into a deep sleep which is when growth hormones are formed. The Drs. just added Keppra and she is sleeping like a champ. Hopefully we will see a spike in her growth now that she is actually falling into a deep sleep.Keppra has done wonders for her sleep and she stopped having crazy dreams.
|

replied February 9th, 2012
I appreciate the reply. My growth has slowed since being placed on meds a few years back, but I was in a fairly advanced stage of puberty at the time so its likely that is the reason for my halted growth and not the meds I am taking. I wish you and your daughter luck with the added Keppra and with epilepsy in general. I personally have experienced no discernible side effects while on Keppra; I feel most of the horror stories regarding "Kepprage" are hyperbole and blown out of proportion. If your daughter experiences any more problems/issues regarding growth, feel free to again post in this thread as I would be interested in knowing (though I completely understand if you wish to end our conversation here since these are private matters). All the best.
|
Must Read
Click here to learn more about what causes epilepsy and the different types of epilepsy. Start here to learn about the basics of this type of brain disorder. ...
Get the facts on epilepsy types. Identify signs & symptoms of epilepsy. We outline different types of epileptic seizures so you know when to seek help....
How can you know if you're having an epileptic seizure? We outline how doctors clinically diagnose epilepsy and other seizures here....