Medical Questions > Mental Health > Bipolar Relationships Forum

does anyone have a good relationship with someone bipolar?

just discovered my boyfriend of a year has bipolar, is there anybody out there that made it work. He is in denial and refuses to seek help, but I'm not ready to give up. How do I help him?
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper User Profile csjh
|

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2012
Community Volunteer
Hi midge357 and welcome to ehealth: Do you see any actions that reflect that he has Bipolar?....How has your relationship been?...There are many ways that Bipolar can affect someone...How do you help him....Be yourself and see where it goes...Take care...

Caroline
|

replied September 14th, 2012
Experienced User
another great reply Caroline.
|

User Profile
replied November 16th, 2012
Hi midge357,

I've been with my bipolar boyfriend for 4 years. There will be plenty of ups and downs, and if you are willing to stick it through things can get better... but ONLY if he gets treatment. Treatment is necessary for his own stability (if he wants to lead a semi-normal life), and for your relationship to work. This treatment would involve seeing a psychiatrist for medication, and a psychologist/therapist. When he's in a good mood, approach him and gently let him know your concerns if he doesn't seek treatment, and how it can help him. Do your research, there is plenty of stuff out there talking about how helpful treatment is.

Hope this helps.
|

User Profile
Hi midge357,

I've been with my bipolar boyfriend for 4 years. There will be plenty of ups and downs, and if you are willing to stick it through things can get better... but ONLY if he gets treatment. Treatment is necessary for his own stability (if he wants to lead a semi-normal life), and for your relationship to work. This treatment would involve seeing a psychiatrist for medication, and a psychologist/therapist. When he's in a good mood, approach him and gently let him know your concerns if he doesn't seek treatment, and how it can help him. Do your research, there is plenty of stuff out there talking about how helpful treatment is.

Hope this helps.
|

Experienced User
csjh
great advice. Well said. so true.
good luck Midge357
|
Quick Reply