Medical Questions > Womens Health > Ovulation and Ovaries Forum

Does an ovarian cyst cause high HCG levels in your blood

So, I haven't had a period since July 29th. I am sexually active and me and my boyfriend have had sexual intercourse quite a few times since then. About a month ago I started to "look" pregnant and have one or two symptoms. Frequent urination and mild cramping in my abdominal area, more commonly on the right side. When I apply pressure to it, its mildly painful. I have No other pregnancy symptoms so I believe I may have a cyst on my right ovary. I took a hpt and it came up positive immediately. But I haven't had a period or ovulated in nearly five months so how is this possible? I did a little research and I believe the positive hpt is from high levels of hcg caused from an ovarian cyst. If I go to the doctors and take a blood pregnancy test and it comes back positive will they be able to detect other things in my blood that Cause ovarian cysts? I also think that once they do the ultrasound they won't see a fetus or a baby forming just a cyst. I don't believe I'm pregnant but my family wants to be sure by me taking a blood test. So anyone feel free to answer my questions I have asked. The more the better. Thank you.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied December 12th, 2013
Hi,
Welcome to ehealthforum,
Ovarian cyst will not give you a positive HCG test result. If you have had a positive pregnancy test result, it will suggest that you are pregnant. It is possible that you got pregnant after your last normal period and did not get periods after that since you became pregnant. If pregnancy has been confirmed, or if it gets confirmed, consider taking serial HCG test. If the levels show doubling up of the hormone levels in 48-72 hours, it will confirm that pregnancy is going on smoothly. An ultrasound scan done will help to know the gestational age and viability (and also rule out any other pathological cause). Visit your doctor/gynecologist for further evaluation and assistance. Be in regular monitoring and follow-up with your treating doctor/gynecologist and report any new/abnormal symptoms immediately. Take adequate rest. Drink plenty of water. Maintain healthy diet. Look out for danger signs like increase in intensity of abdominal cramps, increasing back pain, fresh bleeding etc. Avoid lifting any heavy weights and avoid heavy work. Avoid standing for long duration and avoid climbing stairs. Avoid use of caffeinated and carbonated beverages.
Take care.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What is PCOS? And when does polycystic ovary syndrome become a problem for women?...
Not all women with PCOS share the same symptoms but women with PCOS exhibit one of three main symptoms. PCOS signs and symptoms made clear here....
PCOS is often misdiagnosed. Educate yourself with some diagnostic questions that can point you in the right direction for an accurate PCOS diagnosis....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Ovulation and Ovaries , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.