Medical Questions > Mental Health > Addiction, Recovery Forum

Does Alcohol Cause Permanent Brain Damage?

I would love to know if non-chronic binge drinking can have permanent negative effects on the brain. I have not found any articles that warn of this other than the rare "wet brain" condition.

I drink 2 to 4 times a month and black out more often than not.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied January 1st, 2014
Community Volunteer
Hi JustOneQuestionPlz....I think if you keep this up that you are definitely in line for some big problems...What makes you think as well as be sure that one of these times that you black out that you will always make it back?...

My Father dropped dead at 59 years old drinking boiler makers...He used to black out too....Take care...

Caroline....
|

replied January 2nd, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
Caroline is right and any brain damage that might or might not be caused by binge drinking is the least of your worries.

Damage to the heart and other organs needs to be considered. Alcohol is a poison and taking a lot at once is a shock to the human body that has caused death.

Then there is the fact that alcohol makes people believe they are cleverer than they really are while removing the ability to think rationally.
Misadventure while under the influence of drugs or alcohol is a common cause of death or serious injury and the cause of a significant number of deaths and injuries of none-drinkers who happen to find themselves in the wrong place at the wrong time...

Just because a person has blacked out due to alcoholic poisoning it doesn't mean he remains immobile in a short coma. Such a person can still be walking about and functioning on auto pilot about to burn himself alive while making a coffee or building a fire to keep warm or die in a gas explosion because the gas ring or the gas fire has been switched on but not lit.

A former friend decided to stop drinking after finding herself at the bottom of some stairs. Apart from looking as though she had been severely beaten she was fortunately uninjured.

These are just a few possibilities of self-inflicted deaths or injuries. There are folk who would take serious advantage of a drunk person...

An ounce of alcohol four or five times per week can be quite beneficial but exceed such moderation and you literally leave your life in the care of a person who couldn't care less.
|
Must Read
What's the difference between substance abuse and addiction? Learn the basics and the science of addiction here....
Are some people more at risk than other of becoming drug addicts? Learn which factors influence addiction and how you can avoid developing the disease....
There are a wide range of signs and symptoms of drug addiction. Here we review the common physical, emotional and behavioral signs of addiction....