Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Back Pain Forum

Does a herniated disc qualify me for medical seperation?

Must Read
What structures make up the spine? We review basic spine anatomy here...before identifying potential causes of back pain....
Click here to learn about the most common causes of back pain, and things that increase your risk of backache. We cover lower back pain and upper back pain....
Back pain symptoms may seem obvious. But do you know when symptoms of back pain are more serious or when to see a doctor? Learn what action to take & when...
I am currently in the Navy. On Dec. 2nd I went to the ER for severe back pain. I was diagnosed with a herniated disc (L5-S1), pinched nerve, and degenerative disc disease. I was prescribed several pain meds, physical therapy for six weeks and limited duty. I was referred to a neurosurgeon and told I did not require surgery at that time. At my follow up visit with my primary health care provider I was diagnosed fit for duty and returned to work. I am military police which requires me to wear a lot of weight from my vest and duty belt. When I returned to work I had been having little pain and that was controlled with anti-inflamatories. Within a couple days my pain continued and even caused me a 2nd trip to the ER. I returned to the Naval Health Clinic for a follow up visit to the ER. I was again prescribed pain meds and 2 weeks limited duty. The pain seems to be getting worse and a couple days ago I noticed numbness in my right thigh. I can't stand or sit in any one position for a prolonged period of time without having to get up or move around. I find it difficult to find a comfortable sleeping position and even when I do I wake up frequently to get up and move around. The pain meds I have been prescribed seem to have a diminishing effect and I do not want to continue taking them in fear of becomming dependant.
Right now I have 13 months left on active duty. Upon completion I will have had 12 years continuous active service. I had planned to seperate and return to school full time. I do not want to change my job being as how that would mean reenlising. It seems apparent to me that I cannot continue the next 13 months as a military police officer. My back just can't take the weight of the duty gear and I'm fearful that it would cause more long term damage. My question is this; do the injuries that I have now qualify me for medical seperation and if so, what do I need to do to start the process?
Did you find this post helpful?

replied April 2nd, 2012
Active User, very eHealthy
Find a doctor who WILL state your are not fit for service in your current condition.
Maybe an orthopedic surgeon.
Did you find this post helpful?