Medical Questions > Pregnancy Forum > Pregnancy Forum

doctors will induce a pregnant woman?

User Profile
i have read if pregnancy goes beyond due date and labour pain does not start within 11 months doctors will induce a pregnant woman?is this true?
Also if doctors find outs that if it is difficult for baby to deliver naturally through vagina,they would perform a c-section or caeserian operation.if this is not performed during that moment will both mother and baby would die?

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied September 4th, 2013
Pregnancy Answer A44679
Welcome to ehealthforum,
If labor pain does not start within or upto 40 weeks of gestation, it is important that the woman should visit her doctor/gynecologist to look for fetal wellbeing and get started on appropriate treatment for induction of labor and go ahead with delivery. A pregnancy lasting more than 294 days is termed as postdated pregnancy or post term pregnancy. Depending on the situation (condition of mother and baby), the decision for C-section can be taken. If delayed more, there can be risks to fetus that include stillbirth or neonatal death, large body size, fetal dysmaturity, meconium aspiration. Maternal risks increase due to large size of post term fetus that include injury to perineum and vulva (vagina, labia and rectum), increased rate of cesarean births and increased risks for infection, injury and bleeding.
Take care.

Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
What happens during labor? What do contractions feel like? And how do I know that labor has begun? Read on to learn about birthing basics....
Signs of labor occur after 36 weeks of pregnancy. Learn about the difference between real and false contractions. Plus, we outline signs of delivery complicati...
Almost all women worry about the pain of childbirth. Preparing for childbirth includes thinking about how you'd like to cope with the pain of labor. Read on for...
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Pregnancy , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.