Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Pancreas Disorders Forum

doctors say it is not pancreatitis but...

Hi, I was admitted to hospital when i was 16 with acute pancreatitis, I was given pain relief, put on a drip and wasn't allowed to eat for 3 days. Unfortunately because of my age i was presumed to be a binge drinker when in reality I'm not I only drank on special occasions and then kept it to a minimal, I could not convince the doctors that this was true and they diagnosed me with presumptions as all tests, x-rays and scans where clear. I have not suffered from a second episode since then however I continuously suffer from unknown abdominal pain which to e feels like a pancreatic attack however I keep getting tested and tested and the doctors say it is not pancreatitis but can't tell me what the pains are, I have suffered with them for over a year now and get them at least once a week the pain can last for up to three hours a time I am 19 now, has anybody else had this same problem or what are your thoughts on this?

Read more: Pancreas Disorders Forum - Acute Pancreatitis treatment http://ehealthforum.com/health/acute-pancr eatitis-treatment-t139854.html#ixzz1uD2gg8 zp
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied May 21st, 2012
Your doctors are nuts if they think binge drinking is the cause. It takes YEARS of heavy drinking (like a bottle of whiskey a day) to develop pancreatitis. Although alcohol abuse is indeed the Number 1 cause, 25-30% of cases are idiopathic (medical speak for "we don't know why"). I'm in this latter category, and I've had to endure many, many doctors who insisted that I'm a heavy drinker. So I certainly feel for you!

Have you had an abdominal MRI scan? My gastroenterologist tells me that X-rays and CT scans are inadequate for detailed imaging of the digestive system. Blood tests are good for a first attempt at diagnosing pancreatitis, but if they're inconclusive, you really should get an MRI. Good luck to you!
|

replied September 30th, 2012
Sassy

I, like you have been accused by the doctors (gasteronologist of drinking, whicithey think has cause my bouts of pancreatitis. I have not had anything to drink in a year ( I have never been a serious drinker) When I was young, I could buy a 6 pack of beer and it would last me for 3 or 4 months. Plus I could never drink a whole beer. My attacks started 15 years ago after having gall bladder surgery. I know that I experience painafter eating red meats, especially anthing made from ground beef. I wish doctors, especially in the area where I live would learn more about the disease and look for something else causing the problem beside alcohol. My last attack occured after my primary doctor changed my diabetes medicine and after me eating meat loaf. My gastro doctor kept making me feel like I was lieing to him about being a drinker.

Also, the emergency room at the hospital treated me the same way and would not admit me until I let them know angrily that I had very good insurance.

Has anyone had the same problems.
|

replied October 3rd, 2012
Beat the Heat in Summer Days
One must drink the juices of grapes, watermelon, banana, jack fruit, lemon and pineapple. This is to say foods and juices of sweet and cold and easily digestible must be consumed. The preparations of sugar, barely/green gram, sharbats, buttermilk with sugar candy are to be used daily to cool the body.
|

replied May 23rd, 2012
Hi, thank you for your reply I have been at the hospital today and finally after all this time have news, after all it is not my pancreas which is great but unfortunately the hospital say they are almost certain that I have ulcers on my stomach lining, I do have to have more tests yet and I am going in 2 weeks for a camera put into my stomach. I am just happy that something is finally being done about it after all this time and hopefully I can be treated.
|

replied May 25th, 2012
It's great to hear that you *don't* have pancreatitis, and that the doctors are using definitive tests (i.e. endoscopic examination) to reach a diagnosis rather than relying on presumptions and guesswork as they did previously. Good luck again!
|
Must Read
Gastritis is a general term for stomach disorder. Learn more about types of gastritis, and the anatomy of the stomach in this basic intro to gastritis....
Gastritis occurs when the stomach lining becomes irritated and inflamed. But what can cause this medical condition? Are you at risk of this stomach disorder?...
Gastritis, or stomach inflammation, can be either acute or chronic. Learn how to tell the difference and know when to seek medical help by reading here....