Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

doctors diagnosis without having me tested

User Profile
I am 46 years old never been diagnosed with diabetes and even a year ago i was hospitalized for pulmonary embolisms and they tested me for it but never showed that i do. I went to a new doctor and my wife told him of 3 different home test results, they were marginally high ranging from 135 to 175. The doctor said i have diabetes, i thought that a doctor would have done his own tests to make a diagnosis. like urine and blood. Is this legal in California for a doctor make a such spontaneous diagnosis.
I live in Citrus Heights, California, USA
my stats are
6ft 9in
@525 lbs
46 years old
non active
poor health
with limited income
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied April 16th, 2014
Extremely eHealthy
At more than 37 stones and no longer a young man you are much more than morbidly obese and I think so heavy your life is in danger. It isn't surprising your health is poor and I expect it will deteriorate continuously unless you take decisive action to reverse the trend.

I am sorry to be so blunt but I think diabetes is the least of your problems and quite frankly few doctors want obese patients especially those with a limited income. I am sure you will find lots of doctors are vague, offhand or obstructive.

Unless the doctor you saw was actually asked to give an examination and a diagnosis with reference to your suspicion of diabetes he was probably expressing an opinion rather than making a diagnosis which if it was without cost and not stated on any invoice I doubt he could be held responsible for it or its accuracy - unless he prescribed any medication specifically for the condition he merely gave an opinion about...

I don't understand the blood glucose scale you Americans use. The normal range on our scale is between 4 and 7. The highest I have ever known anyone be and remain standing is in the low 40's.
I am wondering if the 135 and 175 on your scale equates to 13.5 and 17.5 on our scale? If it does it seems you probably do have a diabetic condition, but that could be temporary, lots of people suffer temporary diabetes while they are ill or overweight and unfit and pregnant women also. Mild diabetes often has few or no ill effects over the short term and such a condition can remain undiagnosed and untreated for a decade or more in some patients.

I advise you to obtain some ketone strips from the pharmacy and test your urine. If they show negative or the lowest reading you are probably in no immediate danger and if you put yourself on a strict diet and begin to exercise as much as you are able without undue strain your mild diabetic condition has every chance of righting itself without costing you any of your limited income.

I advise you to stop eating processed food and refined fats and sugars altogether. Take the minimum of meat and starch counting the calories very carefully and fill up on fresh vegetables that grow above the ground. You should not eat less than one thousand calories a day without medical supervision but you shouldn't be eating much more than that until you begin to move around more.

The amount of food you eat should be matched not to your size or your appetite but to the amount of work you do and the temperature of your environment. In time when you will probably suffer agonies of hunger your appetite will adjust and you will eventually feel comfortable with a lower food intake.

Good luck!
|

User Profile
replied April 16th, 2014
Thank you for asking!
SPontaneous diagnosis is only Gregory house habit and should be practised in TV shows only. Random sugar of less than 200 is not even specific for diabetes. It is called borderline or impaired glucose tolerance. He should have worked up for Diabetes like HBA1c and fasting glucose and lipid profile etc. Also more importantly modify diet and lifestyle and use a healthy friendly routine to get you out of woods.
Stay blessed.
Take care
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Diabetes , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.