Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Acne and Skin Disorders Forum

doctor's told me it was scabies and treated with no luck?

Must Read
Acne is a common skin condition - but what types of acne can a person have? Start learning about acne here....
Does chocolate or greasy food cause acne? Learn the difference between fact and who is at risk for getting acne?...
Severity of acne and symptoms vary by individual. Learn the difference between mild and sever acne here...and when you should seek medical help for acne....
User Profile
I have bumps all over my body, the doctor's told me it was scabies and had treated myself for scabies 3 time, with no luck, it has just got worse! also hot washes of all my clothes and even got my carpets cleaned... I went to the hospital last night and he told me that it's not scabies and he doesn't know what they are, could you tell me what to do and who can give me some answers I need... PLEASE :)

Did you find this post helpful?

User Profile
replied November 17th, 2011
Acne and Skin Disorders Answer A28636
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Scabies is caused by the parasite Sarcoptes scabiei, which only infects humans. Once the scabies ‎mites are ‎on your skin, they will burrow under the skin and lay eggs, which will hatch into adult ‎mites in ‎about ten days. An intensely itchy rash develops a few weeks later, as your body ‎develops an ‎allergic reaction to the mites and eggs. The rash consists of small red bumps or ‎blisters and ‎commonly are found between your child's fingers, on the inside of the wrists, in ‎armpits and ‎groin area. You may also see small lines around the bumps, which are the burrows ‎that the mites ‎create as they travel under the skin.‎ Treatment will need proper anti parasitic ‎medications which can be prescribed by your doctor.

It is difficult to analyse a skin condition without a complete medical history and a visual ‎‎‎examination of the lesion. ‎

The other possible causes that can appear like scabies include Allergy reactions or due to contact dermatitis. ‎

The best way ahead to get a proper diagnosis would be to consult a doctor or a dermatologist for ‎‎a physical examination, and specific treatment.‎

Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Acne and Skin Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.