Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

Do you think I'm anorexic?

I rarely feel hungry so I rarely eat. I just don't like food. Thinking or seeing big meals makes me feel sick and puts me off food altogether. I'm 13 and I lost a lot of weight when starting secondary school. I've always been small but I was a bit on the chubby side when I was younger. I always used to have an appetite but when I lost my Gran and my mum and her boyfriend split up I forgot about food. I started to skip meals; I now eat one meal a day. I don't think I'm fat (when looking at myself) yet I still try to lose weight because I think I weigh too much. What do you think?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied November 18th, 2011
Community Volunteer
Hi emmelou279 and welcome to ehealth:...Losing your Gran is rough...I know I lost mine when I was young..As far as your Mom and her boyfriend, these are her problems and not yours...This is her life and worrying about it will not make it better...

I think you should be eating three good meals a day...I don't know your height and weight, but I think you sound like you are well on the way to becoming Anorexic....Just to let you know if you let this take control of you, your troubles will begin..Fight it off now...Enjoy life...Set up a calorie count per day...Exercise...Get out and meet with your friends...Honey, these are the start of the best days of your life...Don't get lost in this disease...It can get pretty bad...I send you my love and best wishes...Take care...

Caroline
|

Hi, thanks for your reply.

It was kind of my problem, he physically abused her in front of me which resulted in me being terrified of him and adult men in general.

When I eat I feel full quickly or if eating before school I feel nauseous. I don't know why, I guess it could have something to do with anxiety.

Thanks a lot for your time and help. I really appreciate it.
|

User Profile
Community Volunteer
Hi again Emmelou: No man should physically abuse a woman...Good for you for standing up to him...All adult men are not like this, you just found one with a serious flaw...

I agree that you do have an anxiety problem...Nerves can do this...You live in fear even when you are safe...In time this should pass...However, help your Mom get over this bad relationship...Don't push her to go back to him...Take one day at a time and honey, eat some meals...I, too, grew up in stress...My Father was an alcoholic...It took a long time for that fear to go away...

We are always here in case you need assurance...Take care..

Caroline
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....