Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Blood Disorders Forum

Do I need to be concerned with Acanthocytes?

User Profile
Hi,I'm a 36 yr old female. I have been having my blood monitored for about the past 18mths as I have a low WBC (currently my absolute is 3.3), Lymphocyte 1.49, Neutrophils 1.35
My doctor said I have had a low count for approx 4 years. Anyway I had the results back from a full blood count a few days ago and there are now Acanthocytes in my blood, which I have researched and believe they are odd shaped red blood cells. I asked my doctor about the acanthocytes because he didn't even mention them while I was talking to him about my results, he didn't even KNOW what they were. So I told him and he said they weren't a problem as I'm not anaemic. Do I need to be concerned about having this new abnomality in my bloods (the acanthocytes)?
I have lots of other symtoms and problems some for all my life and some for the past few years inc. joint paint & stiffness (tested negative for rheumatoid), sinus problems(I have a nasal polyp) vertigo molluscum contagiosum for approx 6 yrs, fatigue etc

Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied September 8th, 2011
Blood Disorders Answer A26639
Hello and welcome to e health forum.

Acanthocytes, also known as spur cells, occur when erythrocyte membranes contain excess cholesterol compared to phospholipid content. This can occur from an increase in blood cholesterol content or from the presence of abnormal plasma lipoprotein composition.

Acanthocytosis refers to the transformation of the normal biconcave disc red blood cells into one with a few irregularly shaped external projections distributed unevenly at its membrane surface.

This type of red cell abnormality is associated with a variety of inherited and acquired disorders including the following:-
1. Abetalipoproteinemia
2. chorea-acanthocytosis
3. McLeod phenotype hereditary spherocytosis with a beta-spectrin deficiency
4. Liver disorders:- alcoholic cirrhosis,
5. Renal disorders : uraemia
6. vitamin E deficiency
7. anorexia nervosa, malnutrition

It can occasionally be found in some normal individuals who have Allergic or immunonological disorders.

You might consult with a hematologist or your doctor for a proper diagnosis and further treatment.

I hope this helps.

|
Did you find this post helpful?
This question has been answered by the doctor. This topic is now open for public discussion, however no comments below this point will be answered by a doctor.
Must Read
Have you just been diagnosed with anemia? Learn how doctors define anemia...plus more information on what causes anemia and who is at risk of developing anemia....
Anemia is caused by a range of diseases and conditions. Learn which factors contribute to anemia and how you can avoid some of the risk factors of anemia here....
Anemia can make you feel tired. But what other some other signs of anemia? Click here for more on anemia complications and when you should seek medical help....
DISCLAIMER: "Ask a Doctor" questions are answered by certified physicians and other medical professionals. For more information about experts participating in the "Ask a Doctor" Network, please visit our medical experts page. You may also visit our Blood Disorders , for moderated patient to patient support and information.

The information provided on eHealth Forum is designed to improve, not replace, the relationship between a patient and his/her own physician. Personal consultation(s) with a qualified medical professional is the proper means for diagnosing any medical condition.