Medical Questions > Mental Health > Depression Forum

Do I have undiagnosed depression?

User Profile
I think I might be depressed. I am in a gap year between high school and university to save money for my education by working for a year. I moved away from my family to live in a bigger city for work. Since January I've just lost all motivation to do anything. I have days where I feel really down for no reason, and sometimes I just cry and cry.... like now. I lost my job as a waitress for messing up too many orders and now I don't sleep properly anymore, some days I sleep well into the afternoon and sometimes I just don't sleep at all. I also don't really eat anymore, I just don't get hungry, sometimes I'll make myself eat toast or chips or something but that's about it. I don't know any people in the city I live in, I used to talk to people at work, but I can't anymore, and my roommate doesn't speak English so we never speak, I'm really lonely. I did a quiz online to see if I was depressed, it said I had severe symptoms but I thought I should ask here.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

User Profile
replied March 6th, 2012
Experienced User
Before you assume depression consider that you are homesick and used to having everything done for you. A gap year is supposed to be fun. Not misery. Whatever possessed you to go by yourself? Mistake one.

Before seeing a doctor I would consider going home. Can you not at least live separately so you can party and have real friends there too?

The problems you describe are self inflicted and I'd suggest it's just ego/pride stopping you going home. Just tell them "I can't do it right now" and go home. They'll welcome you I'm sure.

I assure you going home and settling is much, much simpler than going the doctor/meds/therapy route only to find out you want to go home. By then it will be a habit and yourt life? Who knows, mayvbe screwed by then. Go and do it now.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Must Read
Do you know how doctors define clinical depression? Learn more about this brain disorder and types of depression that doctors diagnose here....
Can depression run in families? Can hormones really make you depressed? Yes! Learn more about causes and conditions of clinical depression here....
People with depressive illnesses do not all experience the same symptoms. Do you know the signs and symptoms of depression? Read on to learn more....