Hi all..I've been experiencing a ton of pain and finding this site gave me some relief, but I could use some explanation as to what I actually have.

For the past 6 or so months, I've had on and off chronic pain in the left side of my jaw. It's mostly been located around the area where the "TMJ" is, which is what got me researching symptoms, treatment, etc. I've found the the pain can sometimes go up into my inner ear, and sometimes it is a lot greater when I'm stressed. The pain has varied from time to time, but I've always felt a dull kind of "headache" around that area, and sometimes it intensifies for a week, two weeks, maybe even a couple of days. I've been stressed a lot this summer with school, work, and other responsibilities, and I tend to suffer from stress-induced depression, and the pain on top of that does not make it better at all. If I move my jaw to the side of the pain, I can hear cracking and sometimes a popping in my ear, and the same happens to the otherside of my mouth as well (except it is definitely not as bad). My dentist leveled out my bite a little bit as I have been having tooth problems and chewing on my left side of my mouth a lot more than usual, and he thought that this could do the trick. No help. Then he put me on muscle relaxers for before bedtime as he said I may clench my teeth, and these have helped some but I feel the pain come back slowly as I go through the day. He also said if this doesn't work then he may suggest a nightguard for my teeth, but I am unsure at this point.

I know this is a lot to take in, but I'm pretty desperate on help and possible options to help ease the pain. I'd rather not get on any form of medication but we will see. Should I see a chiropractor possibly?

If anyone could help I'd greatly appreciate it. Smile
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 4th, 2012
Hello! I know it's been a month since you posted but I just joined this forum recently and have similar symptoms to you, also on the left side. Only in addition to pain in the jaw, ear, and head I do get pain on the left side of my neck and the left side of my throat. Not sure if you experience any of that?

My dentist suspected that I clench my teeth too so he has made me a nightguard that I've been wearing for around a month. No change yet but I've had the condition for 2 years and it may take a little while to improve.

I'm also considering a physiotherapist/chiropractor as I hear that some people have had success from this treatment.

I know this isn't a whole lot of help but from what I've read, TMJD sufferers seem to find relief from either a mouth guard, a physio/chiro, or a combination of both. I wish you all the very best! Smile
|
Did you find this post helpful?