Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Diabetes Forum

Do I have glucose problems?

Hello everyone!

I am 22 years old male and I have been experiencing some bothering symptoms for the past 3-4 weeks. One day I just woke up and felt really dizzy, like being tipsy. Since then I experience dizziness every day almost throughout the entire day. Sometimes it almost goes away but sometimes it is really strong like I am fainting away. Along with the dizziness I am quite sleepy, I yawn really often, I am unable to concentrate, in general i feel weak. My mouth sometimes is really dry and sometimes I urinate more than usual. Sometimes I also experience "needles" in my limbs and face. I have noticed that sometimes after having a meal I become more dizzy. Something else that is really bothering me as well is that when I drink alcohol, even small amounts like a glass of wine, I get extremely dizzy and weak, i become pale, and my mouth becomes completely dry and I feel like I don't get enough oxygen, it gets me into a panic state that something really wrong is happening to me.

I have been to my GP, she said that it is not a neurological issue and she ran blood tests. When my blood test came out, she said - "You are a healthy man". She told me to go to an ear doctor. However, I don't experience any issues with my ears, nor with my balance. I live in Denmark and I think that healthcare here is quite bad...

Is it possible that I might have developed Diabetes or Hypoglycemia? I am really, really worried about my health. Please, give me advice. Should I make a meeting with my GP and ask her to run a glucose profile for me?

Thank you very much in advance!
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 13th, 2013
You get hypoglycemia if you are diabetic from injecting too much insulin so your symptoms are not due to a hypo and unlikely to be due to diabetes.
You are obviously anxious about this, maybe your mouth is dry because you are breathing through your mouth.
Is the room spinning around you or do you just feel a bit faint. If it is the latter it is unlikey related to an ear problem. Maybe you have a subtle viral infection which is making you run down. Sometimes people feel a bit dizzy if they are less active for a while. Exercise may help. Hopefully this will resolve on its own, but go back to your doctor if it doesn't.
|

Thank you for the quick response. No, I don't experience vertigo, nothing is spinning. It is just a feeling of lightheadedness and lack of concentration. About the anxiety... I had some personal stressful situations, along with the writing of my thesis (i am graduating from university this month )I had some really stressful weeks of work on it and when that symptom appeared it just made me really anxious about my health, I started having panic attacks that I have some bad disease and might die. I somewhat managed my panic attacks but I am still quite anxious. I wrote in the Anxiety forum about my issues, but nobody responded. Could it be that now I am left with anxiety disorder that drives all my symptoms and the initial problem causing my dizziness is already gone? Sorry if I am not supposed to raise such questions in this part of the forum, but I really need answers that will help me understand my situation... Thank you!
|

It does seem like your symptoms are coming from anxiety. People with anxiety often hyperventilate which can make you dizzy, cause a tingling sensation especially around the mouth and can make you feel tired. Being anxious on its own would make you tired. I don't know what is causing your anxiety; often there is no identifiable cause and it is a condition in itself. If you haven't had anxiety problems before it might be useful to get a blood test checking your thyroid function just to be sure. It would be good if you could discuss this with a concillor or other mental health professional. Anxiety is usually treated with talk therapy and sometimes anti-depressants(even if you are not deprressed). You could also try self help but I think this should be in addition to seeing a mental health professional
|
Must Read
What is diabetes and what causes diabetes? Start here for basic facts about type 1 diabetes and type 2 diabetes. ...
What causes diabetes? Who is at risk of developing diabetes? Find out what can lead to the development of diabetes here....
Do you know the signs of the onset of diabetes? Read here to find out more about diabetes symptoms and when you need to seek help....