Medical Questions > Conditions and Diseases > Celiac Disease Forum

do I have celiac disease or not?

I was diagnosed in 2007 with chrons disease. I had surgery that same year. Prior to my diagnoses I had a IgA test done and it was 454 being high. Normal they said is 68-378. I was told to avoid wheat, rye, and barley because I had celiac disease. After sseeing a GI Dr. for a consult and no further testing done yet to diagnose me with Chrons I was told I had a false positive test for Celiac. This is very confusing for me. Does the IgA results mean I have celiac or not? Do I need further testing done?
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied January 31st, 2013
Experienced User
Celiac is rule in or out predomiently by a uper small interstine biopsy, it is posible to have both conditions, contine to eat glutin (so that the results are acurate) and requaet a biopsy to check for degridation of the villi of the upper small interstine. the blood tests are more likly to show a falce negitive than a falce positive.
|
Did you find this post helpful?
Quick Reply
Must Read
Is Celiac disease a food allergy? (it is not) What causes Celiac and what puts you at risk for developing it? Basic facts about Celiac Disease here....
What can trigger celiac disease? And who is at risk of developing the disorder? Click here to learn more....
A range of symptoms manifest during Celiac Disease. Learn what signs and symptoms to look for, and when to seek help....