Medical Questions > Mental Health > Eating Disorders Forum

do i have an eating disorder and if i have what is it?

User Profile
i have never really spoke to anyone about whats going on before, i did try once i told a friend and they said ' thats just stupid' so i really dont want to go through that again. i have always had a problem with food and weight. the diets i have ever been on has been not to eat. me and my ex broke up not long ago and i took it really bad i loved him! still do. i completely stopped eating (i have done it before) but this time it was a way to help me cope. now i just cant eat its so hard im scared i'll feel everything again and its to much! when i do eat my skin crawls i have to excercise and burn off as much calories as i can, i try to burn as much calories as i have eaten maybe more. im not underweight but i aint far off either. i like to think i have control but i dont think i have anymore i just dont know how to eat without this horrible feeling haunting me. if i gain a pound i exercise like crazy! and it makes me feel so depressed. i dont know what eating disorder i have?? im totally confused and scared. i dont want to be like this anymore it is completely taking over my life but i have no idea how to fix it. i know i dont want to go to the doctors im scared il be made to put weight on. can someone please shed some light on all this for me! i have no one i can talk to about this. thankyou.
Emma.
Did you find this post helpful?
|

replied September 24th, 2010
Experienced User
hi, from what you have said it is probale you have an eating disorder, most likly anarexia, the best thing for you to do is to go and see your docter, they should be able to help you or refer you to specalist serveces. an eatinf disorder is not silly but a madure medical problem, it is your friends problem that she has not botherd to understand this. you might find the suport websights are helpful, also feel free to mesage me if you want to talk feeling privetly.
|
Users who thank Brightandsparkling for this post: emma08 

User Profile
thankyou soo much! i know your right i do need to see a doctor but im scared that once i do and they take my controll away i wont be able to deal with all the things that have been happening.
|

Experienced User
they should not take your control away unless you are very ill and unable to make ratonal disizions. an eating disorder is one of those things which they can only sucsefuly trat if you want there help and wish to get better. it is an area where talking theripys are frequently used and these only work if you participate. your docter may not fully understand and you may find you find it easyer to talk to a differnt docter at the practice who know more about the conpelexitys of an eating disorder. you should be able to agree with your docter how you wish to preced and not be forced unless you are a danger to yourself in a sugnificant way.
|
Must Read
Anorexia nervosa is one of several eating disorders. But what is anorexia exactly and who does it affect? Get anorexia basics and facts in this short intro....
Although doctors don't the exact causes of anorexia, there are a few factors that put certain people at risk of developing the condition. Click here for more....
What are the most common signs of anorexia? We list the physical and behavioral symptoms of anorexia here and outline when to seek help....