Medical Questions > Mental Health > Schizophrenia Forum

Do Fish Oil Capsules Help Alleviate Schizophrenia Symptoms?

Must Read
Schizophrenia is a lifelong brain disorder. But how do doctors define it? And is there a cure?...
What causes schizophrenia? And what are the risks of developing this treatable mental illness?...
The first signs of schizophrenia may be difficult to identify. Learn the most common signs and symptoms of schizophrenia and know when to ask for medical help....
I've heard fish oil capsules help alleviate schizophrenia symptoms. Do you know of an actual schizophrenic person who has had any luck with the fish oil capsules??

I thought I'd try them, so I picked some up yesterday at the Dollar Tree (30 capsules for $1 -- what a bargain). I took one last night, and I burped fishy oil all last night and this morning. Blech! The taste is not pleasant AT ALL.

However, I just now realized I didn't even notice the voices all day. Now that I have a quiet moment to sit back and "hone in", I notice the voices are actually a bit softer. I still hear them, but it's like they are muffled. I can't even make out what they are saying. Eeeeenteresting!

The bottle recommends taking 3 fish pills a day... but... I HATE the aftertaste of the fish oil, even after just the one pill. If I hear of anyone else experiencing a significant difference in their schizophrenia symptoms with fish oil capsules, I might consider taking them anyway... But! Only if they actually work. The aftertaste might be worth it, if they actually work.
Did you find this post helpful?
First Helper guest46086
|

This post has been removed because it did not meet our Community Guidelines.

replied April 9th, 2011
fish oil
I use fish oil with lemon no after taste from holland and barratt £10 lasts a month or more called eye q liquid I take three teaspoons a day, its the best you can get I've done research, I am getting well with medication too I know oil is helping me tremendously and all my joints, the brain needs oil and green veg in order to function properly. x Louise
|

replied April 9th, 2011
fish oil
I use fish oil with lemon no after taste from holland and barratt £10 lasts a month or more called eye q liquid I take three teaspoons a day, its the best you can get I've done research, I am getting well with medication too I know oil is helping me tremendously and all my joints, the brain needs oil and green veg in order to function properly. x Louise
|

replied April 10th, 2011
Experienced User
I'll have to give that a try. Thanks!

I ended up trying the capsules again that next night, and I've been taking one every night right after my dinner. If your brand tastes better, I may take the recommended 3 dosages a day.

I have notice a difference in my mood -- I don't seem to be as quick to temper. And... I am losing weight! I thought I was just "seeing things", but two different people on two separate occasions commented last week that it looks like I'm losing weight. Score! I can only imagine what the recommended 3 dosages a day would do for me.
|

replied April 22nd, 2011
i really wanted my boyfriend to try them but he is vegiterian!
|

replied May 4th, 2011
ive found veggy ones for my boyf and all theb vits, he is starting to take them so will c how it goes
|

replied May 9th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey there jjj30,

How's your boyfriend coming along with the vegetarian Omega 3 capsules?
|

replied May 11th, 2011
well im not sure if he is taking them all the time, we did split for a week which shook us both into pulling ourelves together, he has been much better since and its around about the same time span for the vits too so hard to tell yet.
|

replied May 17th, 2011
Active User, very eHealthy
On the fishy taste thing, there is a new stronger and more potent product that i think is out right now, and guess what, it has no fishy taste or smell, it's the krill oil, it's a red pill, and you only take one of them, omega threes are good for anyone if you ask me, you should look into starting up on some other things as well.

On top of fish oil, omega 3's, 6's, and 9's, it has all three. I also tried drinking emergen-c packets, and they make me feel much better, if only for a short time, they have b vitamins, anti oxidants, electrolytes, and 1,000 milligrams of vitamin c. It's great.

There are alot of studies online that you can read also where doctors have tried schizophrenia patients on certain doses of certain vitamins and alot of the patients were helped, I can't site any from memory, but it's worth looking into, but that goes for everyone really.
|

replied May 19th, 2011
Experienced User
Thank you! I'll have to check those out.

I think a major symptom that stands out for me is my anger. I get really over-the-top angry sometimes at things other people would just shrug their shoulders at. I've noticed it's mainly when I feel I've been wronged in some way. It's like I have to force others to see things my way, and when they don't, I get angry.

It's not an often occurance, thank goodness. But! It is in the extreme when it does happen, and it's very noticeable to others around me. Luckily for me, I'm not a violent person. I wouldn't *physically* harm anyone or anything. I would just speak my mind and not care who hears me. I guess you could say I go all "schizo" on them.

Prior to my illness, I was the total opposite -- I was always trying to keep the peace, and kept quiet, even when I disagreed with something. No one really knew my opinion on things. I tried to avoid conflict like the plague. I really wish I could get back to that point.

So far, these fish oil pills have been helping with the anger.
|

replied June 16th, 2011
YES! I just started taking fish oil for only a week and noticed improvement in everything. I'm focusing more, I'm feeling more calm, and I'm sleeping better too. I also think it's supposed to help your memory and cognition, which is what people with this MI really need the most, help with their memory and cognition.
|

replied June 16th, 2011
You should get the 0mega-3 capsules, they don't have a taste.
|

replied June 18th, 2011
Experienced User
Hey there blueiris,

It's amazing how many natural products are available to us nowadays. I'm still doing well on the fish oil, and my anger appears to have dissipated.

I have forced myself to become more consciously aware of how I respond to people/situations. Prior to the schizophrenia onset, I was a meek little thing. I was a listener, not a talker -- people used to tell me how great it was to have someone to confide in. I pretty much kept my opinions to myself, even when I felt others were wrong. I'm consciously attempting to get back to that point, and I'm amazed at how easy the journey's been -- it's like I've come home after being away for so long.

I think the problem a lot of us schizophrenics have is we dwell on ourselves and our own needs. Don't get me wrong -- We *do* need to take the time and concentrate on overcoming our obstacles. But... When we eventually have a handle on things, at *that* point, we need to realize the world does not revolve around us. We need to listen to others more and not talk about ourselves so much. Schizophrenia can be a very selfish illness.
|